Fencing questions

TinaSwarr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
I have a flock of 14 hens and 1 rooster , they are completely free range right now but because of to many problems with that we are putting up fences.(traffic, egg hunts, chicken poop all over the place)..... my questions are will the rooster become more territorial inside a fence, will they kill the grass in an area that is 80 feet by 70 feet. and as the flock grows and i put a second coop in there will they seperate to the two coops or try to squeeze into one, and what about a second rooster you never know what you might get with chicks....... on a side note some of my hens follow me all over the place , I sure will miss that. this will be a 7 foot fence shouldn't have to many problems with fly over, but i am sure the leghorns can clear that if they want to.....Thanks for any input on these matters.

2 roosters with 14 hens shouldn't be a problem. I like to have 1 older rooster and 1 younger one. If the rooster is raised from a chick then there should be really no problems. The older one will keep the younger one in line. lol. 7 foot fence I think is a bit of an overkill. I have a 4 foot fence and none of them ever try to fly out. When I first got my leghorn she did. But the Scissors did the trick. It doesn't hurt them and they don't even know you did it really. And NO fence will keep out other animals that will like to have a chicken as dinner. As for trying to squeeze into one coop. You never know. It seems to be the coop they are use to. The one they call home.

Back
Top Bottom