Fencing?

teafreak35

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
I'm building a new run for my chickens. In the past, I've used poultry netting, but it has proven not to hold up very well. I want something with a little more strength. I've thought about using chain link fencing. However, I've really been looking at welded wire fencing. The only problem is that the mesh has 2 in x 4 in holes in it. I will not have anything smaller than pullets in the run. Are the holes in that fencing too large to be adequate?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Pullets up to 8 weeks old or so can and will go through 2x4 fence (mine did). Also sparrows and other birds will get in through 2x4 openings and steal feed or make a nest in your run (they did in mine). I would double up with chicken wire if you go with the 2x4 welded wire. The 2x4 woven wire cost more but it is much stronger. Of course hardware cloth has small openings and will work. I had to go with the woven wire fence because I needed something that would withstand goat hooves and their weight since they like to lean and scratch on the fence.

Back
Top Bottom