Fender washer alternatives?

SSSophie

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Florida
My hubby and I have been working on building some new areas for our chickens as we got some of them unexpectedly and I just don't feel comfortable with their current setup. We have found free plastic bread racks, pallets, fencing, hardware cloth and tons of other supplies free or discounted. Over the past year actually found two coops free we just had to transport them.
I have noticed one thing we end up spending a small fortune on when I am unable to snag them at yard or rummage sales is fasteners. Screws and fender washers namely as I probably go overboard with those on hardware wire. My husband and I have had lengthy conversation about this. I have tried using the air stapler, and several types of fasteners. Dependent upon the store they cost about $0.35 each here. We have had something get into our coop by pulling hardware wire off secured with heavy duty staples in the past. He has decided his solution is using pennies as fender washers. I have an issue with the legality of the situation there.
This morning as I popped the top on my IBC and flicked it into collection which contains MANY (like a gallon crown Royal bag of bottle tops! I craft too..) I got the bright idea of using bottle caps for fender washers. Has anyone else tried this or any other alternatives? I do not wish to purchase screws with bigger heads as I already know how to aquire sheetrock and trim screws nearly free right now. Thank you. :)

How about something like this? Not free, but with your free screws, securely fastens hardware cloth to wood ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-x-100-ft-28-Gauge-Galvanized-Hanger-Strap-33515/301505499

Just cut off a few inches ..
I use 1 1/2” fence staples for all fencing/hardware cloth install. They are not easily removed. Not sure what kind of staples you are using.

Uhm.. I have a Bostitch 18ga air stapler with 3/8 staples. Those pulled out with very little effort. As far as the other ones I'm not sure of the sizes I have tried. My father is the director of facilities at a local church. We went to his tool room and brought out a tub with three different (I think) finish staplers and Brad guns? Nothing he had really sufficed. I don't own a bigger gun as i was raised doing electrical work. We like our screws. I've never really used staples or nails much. I do apologize if I am ignorant to nail guns and staplers?
The section where I'm pretty sure a raccoon got in our big coop by pulling off hardware wire has been screwed down since and you can currently see where something has tried to pry the edge back up with no luck.

I am able to go out and buy what we need. However, I *love* to recycle and repurpose materials. I am the type person who will post ads on Facebook looking for items and take the time to pick them up to repurpose them rather than wasting a newly manufactured item when it is not needed. Yes, I know I am weird. It's why I talk to chickens, and not people for the most part. They understand. Lol.

Uhm.. I have a Bostitch 18ga air stapler with 3/8 staples. Those pulled out with very little effort. As far as the other ones I'm not sure of the sizes I have tried. My father is the director of facilities at a local church. We went to his tool room and brought out a tub with three different (I think) finish staplers and Brad guns? Nothing he had really sufficed. I don't own a bigger gun as i was raised doing electrical work. We like our screws. I've never really used staples or nails much. I do apologize if I am ignorant to nail guns and staplers?
The section where I'm pretty sure a raccoon got in our big coop by pulling off hardware wire has been screwed down since and you can currently see where something has tried to pry the edge back up with no luck.

I am able to go out and buy what we need. However, I *love* to recycle and repurpose materials. I am the type person who will post ads on Facebook looking for items and take the time to pick them up to repurpose them rather than wasting a newly manufactured item when it is not needed. Yes, I know I am weird. It's why I talk to chickens, and not people for the most part. They understand. Lol.
Agree that 3/8” staples won’t be any good. Get some good old hand fence staples and you won’t have any issues.
5F499E9C-1449-47C5-B308-A63A847F1576.jpeg

I got the bright idea of using bottle caps for fender washers. Has anyone else tried this or any other alternatives?
Yup, sure have...tons of them inside.
Even have some outside on my run fencing with drywall screws that have held up for 6 years now. Tho a few have failed due to the caps rusting.
I used a roofing nail to puncture a hole in cap, set cap on a short piece of pipe same size as cap then hammered nail thru.

Back
Top Bottom