Transportable coop designs?

I know you aren't looking for a tractor, but I think the basic idea behind this tractor could be applied to a coop. My original goal was to have it come apart to fit into a minivan. I had to give up on that part. Roofing and framing is just so darn heavy for two people to lift, that to keep things lighter I went cattle panel and tarp. Tarps don't hold up forever, but they're not that expensive to replace.

The part of this that jumps out at me when traveling with chickens is that you pay close attention to laws on going between states with livestock.

IMG_20220910_181040_255.jpg

IMG_20221010_101552_372.jpg

I need some ideas and suggestions for a design that can be broken down to be moved. I don't mean a tractor, but something that can fit in the bed of a pickup, and be lifted by 2 people.

The backstory:
We've moved from our previous location and now have an RV! It's a big change and fun, but managing the chickens is a challenge. We broke down our previous coop into pieces. We built a very temporary coop at this farm out of a tent pole structure and hardware cloth with the plastic roofing from the old coop.
It was a lot of effort, so I'm hoping to make something more permanent (structurally sound) that can break down into sections to be moved and easily reassembled in new locations.
I hope that isn't terribly confusing.
The ideal solution would be a trailer coop, but due to finances we need to use what we have for now.

Materials on hand:
6 Plastic Roofing sections, 8 ft long.
Lots of hardware cloth (previous was an open air design)
Assorted 2x4's from the previous coop (it was 8x8)
Two people sized doors we made to be like screen doors but with Hw Cloth instead.
1 plywood sheet 6x4
Enough fasteners and hardware to sink a ship

Forgive my finger drawing, but here's a basic version of my only idea so far. Each side would break off into big cages to hold the chickens during transport. The middle section would house the brooder and small pen for chicks. Maybe feed storage too. The really short walls at either end would have pop doors.

I welcome improvements and potential alternatives, pretty please!

View attachment 3725370

Get a good miter saw and make panels with glued and screwed half-lap joints. Get very comfortable with making cross bracing.

Get me a list of exactly what you have, not just "I have 2x4s and stuff". Sizes, lengths and quantity, and I will make you a detailed cut list and a build plan.

Back
Top Bottom