Coop plans

Not worth it for this purpose. They'll just poop on it and it really doesn't add square footage. As big as you can possibly go is always the way to go. My coop alone for 15 is bigger than your coop/run together and I can walk in it. 15 full grown chickens is alot of poop, you want to think out how you're going to manage every aspect. My first coop was elevated (old dog house,) and like some said already, I had to use rakes or get on my hands and knees to access that part. It was great because it provided covered area for food AND I was young, lol! Today I'm much to grumpy and prefer to walk in..... Make sure you spend some time reading the "medium" and "large" coops section, you'll get alot of great inspiration. Good luck!!
Wow! Must have a barn style with having over 200 square feet of space! Your chickens must love that space!

I am soon to get my first 15 chicks! My plan is an 8x8 coop raised 1 1/2-2 ft high. 16ft of roost (2 bars). It will be attached to a 10x8 metal roof covered run, and also have a 20x5ish foot uncovered section (all covered in hardware cloth). Thats well over 200sqft of run including under the coop. Is that plenty of room? Should I make adjustments? Any problems with chickens being a pain in the butt being under the coop? Is keeping them from the uncovered section every once in a while to give the ground a rest not okay with covered section plus under coop always available? Or just let them have a ball having it all? Thanks!
It sounds like you're building to maximum capacity. I'm curious as to what your long-term chicken plans are. Will you be harvesting for meat? Will these be for eggs only?

I ask because if you have an idea for your intended flock management plan, you can build to that plan with your coop. Keep in mind, hens typically slow down considerably in egg production after a few years. Some people will cull some as their production drops and replace them with new chicks. Others treat them as pets and they get to live out to a more natural end regardless of their egg production. Some like to keep at least some older hens in their flock as mentors/guides to the others.

How will you replace chickens? Will you plan letting hens raise a clutch of chicks? You'll need to balance your number of hens and roosters. Mother hens help look after chicks as they integrate into the existing flock. If you buy chicks or pullets, they need to have some separated spaces and have a more difficult time integrating. That requires space. (Plus, new pullets should be isolated some distance for at least a while to ensure new diseases are brought in.) If letting hens raise chicks, that will impact how and where you build your nest boxes.

If you are all about the eggs and 15 is your max, I would suggested staggering your way there. Consider adding them in batches of 4 every couple years. Then, you'll have a more steady supply of eggs 3 years from now and beyond.

In addition to flock management, consider poop management as your planning your coop. For many people poop boards are the way to go. Other prefer a deep bedding method where you just keep adding litter and only clean out once or twice a year. Either way can be conducive to composting if your into that. Either approach can make life better for you .... and each one takes some design consideration. Poop boards require height and layout considerations. Deep bedding requires floor material and design considerations.

Yard placement is important. You don't want your run in a low spot in the yard. That will result in a muddy disaster.

Know your local predators. Keep predator proofing in your design plans. Chicken wire keeps chickens in but does not keep any predators out. Half-inch hardware cloth is your friend.

Ventilation is your friend. At least 1 square foot per bird should be open all day every day.

AND ... if you haven't already stop everything and check your local ordinances.

Also, if you like the construction process and have the space/time/money, look into Woods Style Coops. You're in a good climate spot for one of them. A quick example, there are lots around: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-build-woods-style.72527/

Finally, post rough drawings and then detailed to scale drawing and pictures as you go. Lots of people here will be glad to help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom