Coop plans

TyRi

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Feb 19, 2024
Northwest Ohio
I am soon to get my first 15 chicks! My plan is an 8x8 coop raised 1 1/2-2 ft high. 16ft of roost (2 bars). It will be attached to a 10x8 metal roof covered run, and also have a 20x5ish foot uncovered section (all covered in hardware cloth). Thats well over 200sqft of run including under the coop. Is that plenty of room? Should I make adjustments? Any problems with chickens being a pain in the butt being under the coop? Is keeping them from the uncovered section every once in a while to give the ground a rest not okay with covered section plus under coop always available? Or just let them have a ball having it all? Thanks!

Overall it sounds pretty good to me. Make sure to have 3 to 4 nesting boxes for them, too.

Have some way to secure them at night: either a coop door you can lock or a doore that seals off your fully enclosed run.

Make sure to have some digging protection: either put the coop and run on top of some 12" concrete pavers or bury some hardware cloth around the bottom perimeter.

Is keeping them from the uncovered section every once in a while to give the ground a rest not okay with covered section plus under coop always available? Or just let them have a ball having it all?
So the covered run + coop = 80 + 64 sq ft? I would count on leaving the uncovered section available for them to access full time, otherwise you're right at the minimum recommendation for run space. Realistically they're going to tear up the ground or grass in the expanded section even if they only have access part time.

The one tweak I'd make is I would raise the height of the coop to 3 feet as you are going to need to get under it at some point, also it makes raking it out into a wheelbarrow much easier.

edit - I'm assuming it's not a walk in coop :)

OK well you are already breaking the cardinal rule of getting the chicks before the coop is ready! Get on it NOW. Those peeping , precious, fluff balls will be flying , half feathers, stinky, teenagers like 2 days.
Your coop plan sounds good. I agree if they have access to underneath I would raise it to A: make it undesirable for critters to want to live. And B: so that if (when) you have to crawl under there to get something like a sick lady. Also, make sure you have plenty of access doors for easier cleaning of the coop.

The one tweak I'd make is I would raise the height of the coop to 3 feet as you are going to need to get under it at some point, also it makes raking it out into a wheelbarrow much easier.

edit - I'm assuming it's not a walk in coop :)
Raised coops can be walk in, if they are tall enough and have steps ;)

Would putting a 2/3x6ft shelf opposite of the roost be worth it just for a little more space/places for them to explore in the coop or would it just be excessive/unnecessary and just overbuilding at the point?

Make sure to have about 1 square foot per bird of year round ventilation above their heads (so 15 square feet of vents open 24/7/365). Soffit vents are the best way to achieve this as it will be mostly protected from rain and snow. Long roof overhangs are also helpful especially if you'll have windows you'll open in the summer.

Would putting a 2/3x6ft shelf opposite of the roost be worth it just for a little more space/places for them to explore in the coop or would it just be excessive/unnecessary and just overbuilding at the point?
A shelf for storage? Or if not storage, then at best they might roost on it if they like where it's positioned. They're not going to play on it which seems to be what you're hoping for - that's parrots, not chickens.

Not worth it for this purpose. They'll just poop on it and it really doesn't add square footage. As big as you can possibly go is always the way to go. My coop alone for 15 is bigger than your coop/run together and I can walk in it. 15 full grown chickens is alot of poop, you want to think out how you're going to manage every aspect. My first coop was elevated (old dog house,) and like some said already, I had to use rakes or get on my hands and knees to access that part. It was great because it provided covered area for food AND I was young, lol! Today I'm much to grumpy and prefer to walk in..... Make sure you spend some time reading the "medium" and "large" coops section, you'll get alot of great inspiration. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom