FERAL CAT EATING ALL THE EGGS, HOw STOP HER?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you would like to adopt it? Or at least send some money to cover its trapping, veterinary care, food, etc.?

I do plenty of that, thanks very much. Countless rescues at this point - trap, spay/neuter, med care, adopt out to good homes. All in an attempt to mitigate for irresponsible humans. It is pretty rewarding.
JJ

Sorry, I have been busy.

I know 100% the cat is eating the eggs, I see her go in, I go in there to scare her off, I saw four eggs in the nest box. I came out and walked a long way from the coop saw the cat go in the coop. I cheked as soon as she came out all eggs gone. One day I jept the chickens in the coop till ten, I got four eggs which were untoached so the chickens haven't been eating the eggs.

Just to say to feral cat is wild but she is owned by someone who got them for getting rid of rodents. The cat has been neuted (can't spell) but I would still need to catch her and worm her. But Killing or Sending away the cat is not nesserary. Can you do this to her?

I think the best idea is the egg rolling nest box, thank you sleepy03 for the idea!

Pretty kitty! Yes, I could get rid of her if she was causing problems.I hope the rolling nest box works.Atleast she was spayed,but that doesn't help with your egg loss.

I do plenty of that, thanks very much. Countless rescues at this point - trap, spay/neuter, med care, adopt out to good homes. All in an attempt to mitigate for irresponsible humans. It is pretty rewarding.
JJ

Well, you should find homes for the many more nuisance cats out there. Last year I had to take care of several dozen of them. Air rifle pellets cost $0.045 each and you can kill several per sitting so it's unbeatable in terms of time and money. And the bodies are recycled to feed other animals (which is what happens to euthanized animals anyway).

my first thought is, are you SURE the cat is eating the eggs? have you seen her do it? I find it hard to believe a cat can get through the shell. Not doubting you if you saw it, just amazed. My first thought is RATS. And maybe thats why she likes the coop in the first place.
As far as keeping her from doing it, I think give her plenty of dry food but I know animals dont like to stop once they start so I dont know? Sorry. :(

Nevermind, just all the rest of the posts. I'm not too bright. LOL

Last edited:
Well, you should find homes for the many more nuisance cats out there. Last year I had to take care of several dozen of them. Air rifle pellets cost $0.045 each and you can kill several per sitting so it's unbeatable in terms of time and money. And the bodies are recycled to feed other animals (which is what happens to euthanized animals anyway).

You've made your priorities clear.
JJ

Feral cats can be vicious and carry diseases and parasites. Some of us would rather shoot something like that than risk an animal bite or infecting our other animals.

ETA: Some of us live in very rural areas where animal control is a joke or nonexistent (like me). For those like me, dispatching wild animals, be them cats, dogs (wild dogs are a very big problem here), coyotes, raccoons or whatever, the problem is ours.

We live in a very rural area with all your same problems - including the wild dogs - which seem to take care of many of the feral cats, along with the huge owls we have. I don't like it but a feral cat is as vicious as a bobcat, tiger or lion. They are totally wild and can not be rehabilitated because more than likely many generations (it doesn't take long for a cat to have many generations) of their lineage were feral and that is just their nature now. My daughter tried to rehabilitate a six week old feral kitten and he still has the wildness, meanness and untrusting personality in him - just not at such a severe degree. He is as domesticated as his brain can get.

Sorry, I have been busy.

I know 100% the cat is eating the eggs, I see her go in, I go in there to scare her off, I saw four eggs in the nest box. I came out and walked a long way from the coop saw the cat go in the coop. I cheked as soon as she came out all eggs gone. One day I jept the chickens in the coop till ten, I got four eggs which were untoached so the chickens haven't been eating the eggs.

Just to say to feral cat is wild but she is owned by someone who got them for getting rid of rodents. The cat has been neuted (can't spell) but I would still need to catch her and worm her. But Killing or Sending away the cat is not nesserary. Can you do this to her?

I think the best idea is the egg rolling nest box, thank you sleepy03 for the idea!

How is she eating them all that fast? She has to break them open first and then eating an egg takes a while and to be eating that many in that short period of time. Are you sure you don't have a chicken going in there and eating them. Once it breaks the egg it doesn't take a chicken with some of her cohorts to eat every little bit of an egg - faster than a cat ever could. I had a egg eating chicken for a little while. :)

Catch her and put her on craigslist for free...Why put money into something you dont want and dont need? That's what we did with our kitten..she showed up on our porch starving, thin as could be, I think her mama was killed a week earlier because I saw a dead cat in the road that looked like the kitten...anyhoo, vet would not do anything with her until she'd been brought back to life, so we took care of that, and then listed her;...she was gone within a few days.

Back
Top Bottom