Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

92rslt1

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
If this story is too long, just skip to the last part.

I had two guinea and they were very valuable assets around the house. Initially we had 4 but 3 disappeared the first time we let them out. They got scared when night came and ran off into the woods. The last one stayed and was on my porch the next morning. He likes to hang out on my porch with my mastiff and with me in the garage when I'm working on stuff. He's a very curious bird, pecks my wrenches and any shiny object I'm using really. Anyway, we needed another because I think he thought he was a human. I got tired of him crapping on my door mat and garage floor.

Fast forward a year:
In may we picked up a female and they took to each other like they were always mates. No more hanging out on the porch. The tick started disappearing as these little machines would mill around the yard all day eating. Eventually the female started to wander into the outskirts of my yard, into the tall grass and bushes that borders the forest. The male would yell at her and keep back. He never crosses that line into the woods.

On to last week:
She failed to return to the coop one night... then the next, then the next so we started making every effort to get her in. Fearing that one of these nights wandering predators would kill her.

Well it happened. We got home late and couldn't find her in. The male was on the porch... she was MIA.

Later that night I was awoken to the worst screaming I have ever heard in my life. I knew she was dead as I scrambled to grab my gun and run into the darkeness with nothing but my boxer shorts and bare feet.

I chased the sound of rustling leaves as far as I could down into the woods, over stone walls and downed trees. I was trying to get a set of eyes with my light or something ... anything I could shoot at. I had to know what it was that grabbed her, but every time I got within 20 yards it would move farther down the steep hill. Eventually, I had to back out and return home because my feet were not meant to run blindly through the woods at 1am, and the mosquitos were so thick I probably was bitten hundreds of times.

Yesterday after work my ten year old son and I attempted to track the trail down. I really needed to see a foot print or something to find out what it was that took her. I knew where it went mostly so we had an idea where to go. We started where the attack began, we discovered she was sitting on a nest with 19 eggs inside just on the edge of the lawn. We followed a steady trail of her feathers. Then eventually about 60 yards from where I stopped pursuing it we found what was left of the hen. No signs of what it was that did it.

Everything in me says a raccoon took my hen. Her head and neck were gone, her breast were eaten and the tail feathers almost all gone. My problem is I have never seen a raccoon here and just a few weeks ago an orange wild feral cat appeared and has been heard fighting in the woods more than once. He's been through hell, frost bitten ears and missing half a tail. He's a true survivor for sure. I saw him again today just a mere 20 yards from my house.

Does anyone believe based on the description of the remains a feral cat could be responsible for this? Or was my assumption of a raccoon more logical?

Initially I was thinking a fox too. However at night guinea hens are completely blind, so they won't move and are pretty much sitting ducks if they are on the ground. During the day it would be hard for anything to catch them. They have vision during the day that can pick out a tick 50ft away, and they can run and fly fast. They can actually out run my dog on foot during the day. Whatever got her jumped on her as she was sleeping though so she didn't have a chance.

Just because you don't see raccoons doesn't mean they aren't there. We had a scrappy looking feral cat here for years, couldn't catch him. He never bothered the poultry.
Another culprit other than foxes, would be owls.

Yea I agree. I know the coons are here and it bears all the signs of a coon attack too. It's just strange the cat appears and the bird gets killed. I ruled the owl out because whatever it was traveled by foot.

Sounds like a coon is responsible for your girl's demise. :( When my Wyandotte bantam was killed, the telltale missing chest/head said it all (as well as our inundation with the masked terrors).

Not to say that cats never go after chickens, but I feel it's unusual. We've got inside cats, barn cats, and visiting ferals milling around (unsupervised) tiny OEGBs, as well as bantam chicks. Never once have they tried a thing. Keep in mind, said felines make a snack out of much larger avian life than our chooks. Quite frankly, it amazes me.

~Alex

Well I'm pretty sure I have found the culprit. I set a live trap and mounted a camera in front of it. I threw a can of tuna in it as I know they can't resist that.

10:42 pm last night he shows up and walks around the cage then leaves.. I was curious as to why he would leave that tuna.

Then 12pm..
an opossum shows up checks the cage out and doesn't want to go in either.

At 4:09 AM the coon comes back. He pushes the door down on the cage from the outside, then goes around the back and reaches through with his hands and proceeds to eat all the tuna. He knew it was a trap which is why he didn't go in to begin with.

Predators 1
Human 0

I reset the cage this time putting the tuna in a bag to make it harder to pull through the cage. As I was setting it the raccoon from what seemed like a near by tree was chattering at me as if to be laughing. He must be living within 20 feet or so of that area.

The trap is exactly 100 yards from my front door where my hen was killed. Too close to my last bird for comfort...

Same thing with raccoons here. I can't even count on one hand how many times I saw one in several years. As soon as I started putting up the enclosure, one popped up then another. In the last two weeks my dogs have alerted me to one huge one and what sounded like 3-4 younger ones. All of them in trees about 25 ft from the coop. They are driving me nuts. I ordered an electric fence but in the mean time I an keeping the dogs out there and I turn every flood light on as soon as it gets dark. Since I'm not sleeping I have one dog I make bark several times during the night. I'm busy shining flash lights in the enclosure.

And my dog just spotted one just now....

Back
Top Bottom