Feral goats, the start of the journey to eradicate them, and to domesticate some of them.

Set up a couple more cameras yesterday.
Apart from that, haven't made much progress, but I'll get there.
20230611_164855.jpg

Do you see more cashmeres than just the one?
Not really, yet.
Quite a few of them have the odd bit of longer hair, which makes me think they do have some of the genetics for it.
But I'm still finding out how many there are, down the bottom end of the property there is a different lot from up the front, and there could well be a few more down there.
And its hard to tell if even the one I got a photo of is a real cashmeres, that is one that would breed with others so as to speak.
I have always really wanted some cashmeres though, so I'm hopeful!

Not really, yet.
Quite a few of them have the odd bit of longer hair, which makes me think they do have some of the genetics for it.
But I'm still finding out how many there are, down the bottom end of the property there is a different lot from up the front, and there could well be a few more down there.
And its hard to tell if even the one I got a photo of is a real cashmeres, that is one that would breed with others so as to speak.
I have always really wanted some cashmeres though, so I'm hopeful!
So... the tricky thing with cashmeres from my (admittedly limited) research is that while there are breeds that are used for cashmere, most goats also produce some amount of it as an individual. Some don't do a lot, and some do.

So... the tricky thing with cashmeres from my (admittedly limited) research is that while there are breeds that are used for cashmere, most goats also produce some amount of it as an individual. Some don't do a lot, and some do.
This agrees with what I know about them.
I think, basically, if they have a lot of cashmere, and then you find another with a lot, and breed them together, you start to get more and more actual cashmere.
I don't think it is so much a breed, but more a type, at least how it works here.
I know good quality both angoras and cashmeres have been bred from ferals here, you just need some with the right kind of genetics to start off with.

Back
Top Bottom