Feral Pigs

Quote:
The problem is, here in america they are not native, with no natural predators and there for cause a lot of damage without anything keeping them in check.

Hi KristyHall

They are not currently native here either. We have less predators for them than you. (IIRC you have wolves and bears etc in places?) The whole of the UK is urbanised relative to the spaces you have over there.

The same could be said of Fox and badger... what of dear ?.... Human is the only predator. Money can be made from managed shooting and the population and woodland would benefit from there presence. (Only in the sence of waking up... not general safety to the ignorant in the countryside)

I think the only predator in the United States that could stand a chance when taking on a hog is a pack of wolves. However, since wolves are extinct in most of the lower 48 states, they can't control any feral hog populations.

Quote:
wolves wont generally take on adult hogs,,they may pick off some babies early on..there is even a pack of feral potbelly pigs near me,,at Big Stone lake,,I havent heard about them for a couple years except that they are still there,,the DNR is trying to keep the numbers down,Last I heard they guestimated between 25-60 hogs there.Hogs are known to take down fawns,ground nesting birds and eggs,geese let alone all the crop damage they do..I believe in MN you can take as many as you want by whatever means you want,not sure if you need a small game license or not,,but most people I know have one anyway.

A couple years ago we saw are first wild boars in our woods. They destroyed the undergrowth of our forest and made the creek a muddy mess. They had made lots of areas that were holding stagnant water and it was a breeding ground for moquitos. We killed as many hogs and piglets as we could find and haven't had anymore problems. Several of our neighbors killed a bunch to. The conservation department here in Missouri wants them eliminated as they carry diseases, kill many native animals and destroy habitat. Farmers hate them due to diseases that could get introduced into their livestock and the damage they do to crops.

Back
Top Bottom