Fermentation and laying

Marleigh33

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2021
We started fermenting our chickens about a week or so ago. I’ve noticed that our chickens aren’t laying like they were. They’re all healthy and no other issues but they have quit laying. We’re lucky to get 1 a day where as we were getting 2-3 a day. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. My boyfriend swears it’s not from fermenting, but I’m not 100% convinced on this.

We started fermenting our chickens about a week or so ago. I’ve noticed that our chickens aren’t laying like they were. They’re all healthy and no other issues but they have quit laying. We’re lucky to get 1 a day where as we were getting 2-3 a day. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. My boyfriend swears it’s not from fermenting, but I’m not 100% convinced on this.
It is likely not because of the fermenting.

There can be many reasons associated with a slower egg production:
- You may be feeding them too little or too much
- They may be in the middle of or getting ready to molt, which is taking all the energy to grow new feathers instead of producing eggs
- They may not be getting essential minerals, like calcium, and it has finally caught up with them

There are many more, but I think those are the most likely.

All good advice but the feed bulks up when soaked and the hens cannot get enough feed through their system to match what a proper diet of pellets or crumble gives them. The food might be more palatable but the nutrient content isn't changing other than some starches changing to sugars maybe. A laying hen's egg limit is mostly about her ability to process enough protein each day.

All good advice but the feed bulks up when soaked and the hens cannot get enough feed through their system to match what a proper diet of pellets or crumble gives them. The food might be more palatable but the nutrient content isn't changing other than some starches changing to sugars maybe. A laying hen's egg limit is mostly about her ability to process enough protein each day.
I don't think your arguement for this is sound. There's no bulk to fermented feed; it soaks for 3 days, usually with an excess of water, so that it breaks down. Even with soaked food that swells with water - they're still going to eat a little, poop & pee a little, then eat some more. I don't have any hard numbers, but I think most people who give ferment/wet mash also have pellets/crumble feed available 24/7 so the birds are going to get plenty enough to eat. And don't discount the importance of WATER - chickens don't like hot water, so cool water is essential in summer for everything else to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom