Fermented chick feed container?

tiffu22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
So I have been do the fermented chick feed and they love it but it is such a pain. I use the large deli 1lb containers and cheese cloth to drain. I tried to put hole but I think they are to small but if I make them bigger all the feed will go out the holes. So what does everyone do. Also once you use that days supply do you just refill and give it the next day or have more that one going and let it sit for a day.

Search for fermenting feed there is plenty of info there. Most are using 2 - 5 gallon buckets, one inside the other, the inside bucket has holes drilled in it to drain the liquid.

I've got one 5 gal bucket and a slotted spoon to scoop out the feed. Its easy to scoop when its all settled in the bottom but once its stirred up its to soupy. Since I've been doing it I've never managed to get all the feed out, so I just add more feed and water to the bucket, stir it up and let it sit. The bacteria responsible for breaking down the feed is still in that excess liquid you have and jumpstarts the next batch you get going. I feed my 13 birds twice a day from my bucket and the fermentation is still good. The.folks on the "fermenting feed for meat birds" thread are super friendly and helpful. Also check out the "natural chicken" thread. They taught me a lot there

Thanks guys. But my problem is I'm using chick crumbles and they clog the holes or go right through. I got a strainer and have been using that.

Back
Top Bottom