Fermented chicken feed (part 2)

My question is, can I ferment all of my chickens feed and feed them only fermented stuff? Or does some if it have to the regular dry pellets and grain? Thanks!
You can feed all fermented if you want. No reason why not.
I feed both for my own convenience.

In Southern Maryland. Just started fermenting a grain feed two weeks ago. Like it. The peeps love it. Currently serving in split pvc trough. Works. A lot of them are wearing it on face and front. Has anyone found a feeding method that they get less on themselves?

Have lowered water content to get it more like thick oatmeal but they still end up wearing it. Do see them searching for favorite bits and slinging there head afterwards. Messiest looking hens are definitely the ones that like to walk in it.

Was thinking of something like a bird feeder bucket holding most of it with a much smaller trough at bottom. Like some of the hanging feeders?
They could still sling it though.
Guess having them wear might just be part of it..On a good note do see them cleaning up the bits they find on the ground later and the trough is nearly clean when they are done.

A lot of them are wearing it on face and front. Has anyone found a feeding method that they get less on themselves?

Have lowered water content to get it more like thick oatmeal but they still end up wearing it. Do see them searching for favorite bits and slinging there head afterwards. Messiest looking hens are definitely the ones that like to walk in it.

Was thinking of something like a bird feeder bucket holding most of it with a much smaller trough at bottom.
Smaller feeders, that prevents them from dunking their heads in it and walking in it at least - I have everything from cat food bowls to large ramekins to individual pie pans. Downside is if you have a big flock that's a lot of bowls to clean up.

Not sure if the bird feeder bucket you're asking about would work. Any photo to show what you're considering? If it's anything gravity fed, FF will NOT work in it.

Smaller feeders, that prevents them from dunking their heads in it and walking in it at least - I have everything from cat food bowls to large ramekins to individual pie pans. Downside is if you have a big flock that's a lot of bowls to clean up.

Not sure if the bird feeder bucket you're asking about would work. Any photo to show what you're considering? If it's anything gravity fed, FF will NOT work in it.
Thanks. Meant to say a standard hanging feeder which is gravity fed, so guess that is out.

Back
Top Bottom