Fermented Feed Feeder for small flock

For just over $10 we put together a pretty simple feeder for our 3 hens. We got a 36" plastic window box liner and attached some pieces of wood trim on the bottom to prevent tipping/spilling. (Be sure to use stainless steel screws.)

36" plastic window box liner: $9.28
Stainless steel wood screws: $1.00

So far it's working out great. The liner is just deep enough so that they can't fling the food out onto the floor. The hens don't climb or jump on it, and they can't tip it over. It's light weight and very sturdy. Most of all it's easy to move around and clean out.

I just plop my fermented feed from the strainer onto a flat rock. I started with a bowl but they would walk through it and it would get mushed down and they would hardly ever finish it all. They finish a lot more and clean it up better when it's just on a flat rock.

For just over $10 we put together a pretty simple feeder for our 3 hens. We got a 36" plastic window box liner and attached some pieces of wood trim on the bottom to prevent tipping/spilling. (Be sure to use stainless steel screws.)

36" plastic window box liner: $9.28
Stainless steel wood screws: $1.00

So far it's working out great. The liner is just deep enough so that they can't fling the food out onto the floor. The hens don't climb or jump on it, and they can't tip it over. It's light weight and very sturdy. Most of all it's easy to move around and clean out.

Thanks for this idea! I have several drip trays from old window boxes that I might be able to use the same way! Going to pick up stainless steel screws today!

I made this feeder because it was the scraps I had. Some 4" PVC, 2x4, and plywood. Jigsaw to shape. Took all of 10 minutes. For the most part I just use old dishes for fermented feed, they only care about the contents anyway.
Since its round they cant jump on top ...... well comfortably enough to stay.
20200719_181737.jpg

I feed them a portioned out container of fermented food every morning (they have access to dry food 24/7 on top of whatever veggies/scrapes we give them that day from meal prep or the garden). I have 4 plastic strawberry containers that I use for it. I open each one up, plop it on the ground and pour equal amounts into each (using the lid too). My hens hate when its sitting in the fermented water so the slots in the containers let the extra water sift out while still keeping the food in one spot.

I like it because they are easy to use/keep outside of the run door, can be rinsed or chucked when they have seen better days and are easily replaceable. I store some extras in the basement on the shelf we do the fermenting on so I can grab a new one as I head out if needed.

Back
Top Bottom