Fermented Feed in the Winter

I’m sorry - I’m showing my newbieness ( I know that’s not a word). What is ddg? I like the idea of best bases - do you mind showing me a picture? I currently put mine in a large plastic feed bowl. The problem is the chickens always kick up the bedding and it gets into their feed. I’ve been trying to think of how to feed them using a hanging feeder - but they aren’t really meant for wet feed.
Maggie DDG is dry distiller grains. There's an ethanol plant not too far from us (NE Colorado) and we use all the spent corn from the process. Cattle feeders in particular feed it; the carbs are spent in the distillery process and the remains are higher in protein than corn.
While I don't have a picture of my galvanized heat bases, you can google Farm Innovators and that's what they are. A good trick to keep debris from the feed is to place a cheap (think dollar store) serving platter or a cheap boot tray under your feeders. It will both collect the spillage and keep bedding out. OR put your feeders up on cinder blocks or patio pavers; whatever you have that will elevate it a bit. Believe me I've tried everything and finally after about 5 years have a 'process'. Now I have some very expensive feeders sitting around that I don't use :) cause I'm soaking grain and feeding it in cheap, rubber feed pans on boot trays. I've not found hanging feeders to be any benefit without something under them to catch the spillage. I'll also add that even if they get into the rubber feed pans, with soaked grain it doesn't go flying around when they scratch. So no loss of feed at all for me.

Last edited:
Maggie DDG is dry distiller grains. There's an ethanol plant not too far from us (NE Colorado) and we use all the spent corn from the process. Cattle feeders in particular feed it; the carbs are spent in the distillery process and the remains are higher in protein than corn.
While I don't have a picture of my galvanized heat bases, you can google Farm Innovators and that's what they are. A good trick to keep debris from the feed is to place a cheap (think dollar store) serving platter or a cheap boot tray under your feeders. It will both collect the spillage and keep bedding out. OR put your feeders up on cinder blocks or patio pavers; whatever you have that will elevate it a bit. Believe me I've tried everything and finally after about 5 years have a 'process'. Now I have some very expensive feeders sitting around that I don't use :) cause I'm soaking grain and feeding it in cheap, rubber feed pans on boot trays. I've not found hanging feeders to be any benefit without something under them to catch the spillage. I'll also add that even if they get into the rubber feed pans, with soaked grain it doesn't go flying around when they scratch. So no loss of feed at all for me.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your time. I’ve got a boot tray - I’m ganna go put it out there right now. 😁

Hi. This will be my first winter with my chickens. I feed them a fermented whole grain chicken food and I was wondering if I could continue doing that in the winter. I live in Maine and water freezes after a couple hours. I just didn’t know if it would be wise to feed the chickens wet feed in freezing temperatures. Should I just feed the food dry over the winter? Thanks.
I put my fermented feed in a heated dog food bowl for the winter.

Do you do the same with water.
I use this set up on a LEVEL concrete block about 8" high so the water is at chest level.
I rinse the base out every morning and fill it about every 3 days. It holds 2 gallons of water.
heated waterer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom