Fermented Feed... They seem like they are starving and then binging

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
Hi guys! So i thought id try fermenting feed to save some money and for the health benefits. I used a locally milled mash and let it sit a few days and it started bubbling and smelling sour, so it was ready to go.

I didnt worry about draining the water (it was pretty thick), so i gave my 30 chickens about 15 cups (half a cup each). For a test, i took their free access feed out and tried just the fermented feed ration and some kitchen scraps for about 3 days. They were also let out to free range. By the 3rd day, they acted like they were starving when i would feed them, or if they saw me outside, they came begging for food.

So i put the free choice food back in their runs and continued with the fermented feed ration each day. After about a week, I noticed They were eatting almost as much of the free choice as they did before i started giving them fermented.

I have since quit the fermented feed idea for now, they are back to their free choice feed only, until i find out how to manage it better.

What am I doing wrong here? Are they looking at the fermented feed as a treat, and over indulging? How do you guys manage the fermented vs. Free choice feed?

I feed FF once per day. They act like they are starving, but they are not. Chickens are tough creatures. You can also feed twice per day, and some people offer FF as free-choice during the day.
I was feeding once a day too. In the morning, id put it out and it woukd be gone in less than 20 mins. Do you think 1/2 cup (wet) per bird is enough for them? Should i measure the 15 cups out dry? Thanks!

I was feeding once a day too. In the morning, id put it out and it woukd be gone in less than 20 mins. Do you think 1/2 cup (wet) per bird is enough for them? Should i measure the 15 cups out dry? Thanks!
If it's overly wet and too soupy it's hard for them to get a good bite to eat it. I always mix dry feed back in to get the consistency right.
For me, the FF bowl is always empty at the end of the day and the dry feeder always had something left.

If it's overly wet and too soupy it's hard for them to get a good bite to eat it. I always mix dry feed back in to get the consistency right.
For me, the FF bowl is always empty at the end of the day and the dry feeder always had something left.
I could do that. It was pretty thick by itself, but i understand it. Should i mix the dry back in and then measure it out? Like how much do you actually feed your ladies?

I'm about a week into feeding fermented feed. At first it was a little watery and I noticed they were acting like they were starving. Yesterday and today I made it more of an oatmeal consistency and they seemed to fill up nicely. They didnt even finish it this morning. I also think they need to get used to the idea of eating just2x a day (or once, whatever you do) instead of all day. Are you giving them high quality feed?I know someone who thought fermented scratch was food enough and it definitely is not.

I'm about a week into feeding fermented feed. At first it was a little watery and I noticed they were acting like they were starving. Yesterday and today I made it more of an oatmeal consistency and they seemed to fill up nicely. They didnt even finish it this morning. I also think they need to get used to the idea of eating just2x a day (or once, whatever you do) instead of all day. Are you giving them high quality feed?I know someone who thought fermented scratch was food enough and it definitely is not.
Yeah, its 16% layer mash from a local mill, did throw a handful of scratch in the mix, but not much lol. How much do you feed per bird? Is 1/2 cup per day enough?

Yeah, its 16% layer mash from a local mill, did throw a handful of scratch in the mix, but not much lol. How much do you feed per bird? Is 1/2 cup per day enough?
Are you measuring before fermenting or after? I feed about 1/2 cup but that measurement is before fermenting. The can I use I put in 3 cups of feed (1/2 the can) then fill with water. It then expand and fills the entire can once fermented so 1 can is 1 day of feed. I feed half in the morning and half about an hr-30 min before bed. I have 11 birds that are eating this feed right now. I dont measure after fermenting. I know its half the can.

What am I doing wrong here? Are they looking at the fermented feed as a treat, and over indulging?

One way to check that:
weigh each chicken, or at least specific ones that you can recognize, and write down the weight.

Then feed the fermented feed once or twice a day, while letting them have free-choice dry feed.

After a week or two, weigh those same chickens again and check against the weights you wrote down. If they have all gained a noticeable amount of weight, then they really are eating more. But if they have not gained weight, then they really do need that much.

Do you think 1/2 cup (wet) per bird is enough for them? Should i measure the 15 cups out dry?
No, it wasn't enough.

Feed tends to at least double in size when you get it wet, so that was probably only 1/4 cup each when it was dry.

A common estimate is 1/4 POUND per laying hen per day (or more for large breeds).
Someone weighed a few feeds once, and 1/4 pound is about 3/4 CUP of feed.
(It varies from one brand to another--weigh some of your own food, dry, if you want to be sure.)

So 1/2 cup wet is probably about 1/3 of what each birds needs per day. They would still need to eat about 2/3 the usual amount of dry food to make up the difference.

If you want most of their food to come from fermented feed, take a scale and weigh out 7 1/2 pounds of food per day. That should be at least close, although they may need more yet if they are large breeds. (After you weigh it once, you can measure how many cups it was, if you prefer not to use the scale every day.)

I feed in the evening so they can stuff themselves before bed. I don't measure exactly, but I try to give them a bit extra. They can have the remainder in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom