Fermented feed

My girls like a thicker consistently to their fermented chick starter also. Been feeding it from day one and they are happy healthy 5 week olds now

How do you learn to first ferment the feed? I am nervous about bacteria/mold.

Since I use Scratch & Peck feed, that company actually encourages it. I read up on details on various threads here, and figured there was no harm in trying it out. Mainly I do it to reduce waste, and to force the girls to consume the entirety of their feed, not just the parts they want. Really made a massive difference on waste reduction... they were throwing out at least 5% or more of their feed, and it was turning into a hard cement on the ground. :lol: With fermenting they'll even go back to nearly-empty bowls and try to pick up every last tiny tidbit of feed.

I have gotten mold, yes, mostly in the summer when it gets hot and the ferment goes into overdrive. You learn to recognize mold vs yeast and how much/how little to make for your flock so you're not going through it so slowly that it just sits there.

I use cleaned out kitty litter tubs. They are perfect! I use 3-4 scoops of grain and fill it at least 2 inches above the feed. They have hinged lids so I just leave them open slightly. It works like a charm! I have 24 chickens and feed 4 cups of fermented feed per day with access to dry All Flock. It is gone every evening before they roost and they are eager to have their bowls filled in the morning.
I keep as much of the juice as a can from each batch and make 3 buckets on a rotation.

Yes....just play w your water to feed ratio. I did what the feed store recommended at first and it was like soup. Chooks ate it well enough, but seemed wasteful of all of the good fermenty juju, so I upped the feed a bit and a little less water and get thick oatmeal consistency and they seem to like it better, too.
Question...how do you store your fermented feed? If I get it to the correct consistency, there is no water on top after it settles. I was always told the water is what keeps the mold away. Do you leave your out? Any issues with mold?

Question...how do you store your fermented feed? If I get it to the correct consistency, there is no water on top after it settles. I was always told the water is what keeps the mold away. Do you leave your out? Any issues with mold?

That's how I do mine. As long as it's not too hot and you stir it once a day it shouldn't mold. I usually add about 1/4 cup of water a day to keep it from drying out because I leave the container uncovered.

I used to fill my 2 quart jars up about halfway with a feed/scratch mixture, and then fill them the rest of the way with dechlorinated water. I keep 3 jars on the cabinet so I can rotate them out each day, giving each of them time to ferment. When I was ready to use them, I would strain them and then reuse the liquid. The straining process was rather time consuming, so I now just eyeball food/water ratio so the food has enough moisture to ferment, but I don't have to worry about straining:)

I used to fill my 2 quart jars up about halfway with a feed/scratch mixture, and then fill them the rest of the way with dechlorinated water. I keep 3 jars on the cabinet so I can rotate them out each day, giving each of them time to ferment. When I was ready to use them, I would strain them and then reuse the liquid. The straining process was rather time consuming, so I now just eyeball food/water ratio so the food has enough moisture to ferment, but I don't have to worry about straining:)
Thank you! That is where I'm at now. Pain straining!

I’m thinking about trying to ferment, but I’m nervous. So you just feed them in the morning a certain amount and once it’s gone it’s gone? I have 4, how do I know if they’re getting enough? They’ll be in a run for most of the day other than maybe an hour or two when I’m home and able to be outside with them. I’m new to chicken raising and I have so many questions! I’m doing research, but it’s just so overwhelming when you feel you don’t have a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom