Fermented feeding

I started fermenting their flock raiser crumbles this week, so I can't attest to any health benefits as of yet, but I do something very simple (which I read on this site, of course):

First batch got to sit for a full 3 days.
Then I started using it, stirring every time before taking a portion out.
When it gets so low that there is about one meal left, I add dry crumbles and water, stir everything, and it sits until the next meal - usually about 24 hrs, but sometimes closer to 12.

I keep one feeder with dry, regular crumbles available all the time. On days when I give them the FF early in the morning, they eat a lot less dry food.
Or maybe it just seems that way... I haven't actually measured.

But I like the backslopping 1-bucket process, it's super easy and it does ferment in the time I give it (since it has a nice amount of 'starter' in it). If I had to do a more involved process - rotating between buckets or jars and all that - I wouldn't be fermenting at all.

I ferment grains - mainly wheat with some cracked corn and a little barley and oats - which they get for breakfast and last thing before going to roost. In between they free range. When I have chicks with the flock (as now) I also offer chick crumb (dry, not fermented). Most of them prefer the FF, but some avail themselves of the leftover chick feed (I supervise so that chicks get first dibs). There is no waste with FF, but I can't comment on consumption because my flock numbers keep rising :rolleyes::p

If scratch grains are meant to be given as a treat/snack/boredom buster, would fermented grains be in the same category or no, as the nutrients are increased & more readily available? I ferment grains for my girls & use the liquid to moisten their pelleted layer feed, so the pellets aren't actually fermented (seems to mushy letting them soak). They have dry pellets available all day. Thanks.

It would depend on the grains, no?

Btw, my FF has very little water in it. It looks kind of like cement when I feed it to them- I scoop up large "glops" of the stuff into dog bowls, and when stirring it definitely looks more solid than liquid.
Like really thick, cooked oatmeal.

my FF has very little water in it. It looks kind of like cement when I feed it to them- I scoop up large "glops" of the stuff into dog bowls, and when stirring it definitely looks more solid than liquid.
Like really thick, cooked oatmeal.

I ferment grains for my girls & use the liquid to moisten their pelleted layer feed, so the pellets aren't actually fermented (seems to mushy letting them soak).

I use one crock and back slop, it's easy and quick. I use crumble and make it thick by not adding a lot of water.

Fermented feed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom