FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Someone is saying they've had issues with ACV + FF alcohol going bad quickly.

Links to info, anyone?

Not sure what that means....shouldn't be any FF alcohol other than sugar alcohol that is consumed by the acetobacter and produces vinegar. And vinegar rarely, if ever, "goes bad"...it's actually something that is used to keep botulism from developing in canned vegetables that are low acid.

If they are talking about a very sour smell, then that's normal and does not indicate spoilage or that anything has gone bad.

I have been using ACV in my FF. It seems to be doing very well! I did notice some mold grew at the top of the bucket but now I have it in my garage where its cooler so hopefully no mold will grow.

Not sure what you mean by using ACV in your FF? If you are going to use ACV it would just be a little in the very first batch and then no more, as it's no longer needed...the FF pretty much will make it's own vinegar as a byproduct of the lactobacillus metabolism.

I would suggest not using ACV in fermented feed. I use lacto fermenthttp://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.ca%2Fp%2Ffermented-feed.html&h=fAQELcim7&s=1tion. You can read about the differences on the link I posted above. I found the alcohol fermentation went bad very easily (ACV)

Like · 

me="Beekissed" url="/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them/1950#post_12757210"]
Not sure what that means....shouldn't be any FF alcohol other than sugar alcohol that is consumed by the acetobacter and produces vinegar.  And vinegar rarely, if ever, "goes bad"...it's actually something that is used to keep botulism from developing in canned vegetables that are low acid.

If they are talking about a very sour smell, then that's normal and does not indicate spoilage or that anything has gone bad. 
[/quote]

She said. Sigh. Pasting in all wonky. And earlier, she linked here:

Not sure what that means....shouldn't be any FF alcohol other than sugar alcohol that is consumed by the acetobacter and produces vinegar.  And vinegar rarely, if ever, "goes bad"...it's actually something that is used to keep botulism from developing in canned vegetables that are low acid.

Right- that's what I was thinking, but was hoping to get a link to share. ;) I mean, folks tell me it's bad I use/d a few glugs of unpasteurized ACV in the FF, and I'm like," Um, it's ****fermented! !***". Ah, well.

Last edited:
I don't think I have any specific links that will convince them it's not bad...if they read up on fermented grains it may give them some idea of the process. I've kind of given up on trying to convince the willfully ignorant folks about the FF~the info is out there if they but Google it. If they don't want to use it, so be it. Their loss.
big_smile.png

She's lactofermenting. I am pretty sure ACV falls into the same category with scratch, sweet feed (for horses), DE, etc. Use it; don't use it (interferes with calcium absorption, etc).

I have another batch to start tomorrow- we have babies, so I need to get to it. This time, I'm using just water. We'll see!

She's lactofermenting. I am pretty sure ACV falls into the same category with scratch, sweet feed (for horses), DE, etc. Use it; don't use it (interferes with calcium absorption, etc).

I have another batch to start tomorrow- we have babies, so I need to get to it. This time, I'm using just water. We'll see!

I got a clue for her...we are all lactofermenting if we are fermenting grains and capturing natural yeasts. No matter if we use an ACV starter or no starter at all, it all eventually is some form of lactofermentation in grain fermentation.

I got a clue for her...we are all lactofermenting if we are fermenting grains and capturing natural yeasts.  No matter if we use an ACV starter or no starter at all, it all eventually is some form of lactofermentation in grain fermentation. 

:D I think her point was that she uses something dairy based to get fermentation going, lol. I, personally, try to keep it as simple as humanly possible.

Back
Top Bottom