FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. scopechick

scopechick Out Of The Brooder

So I have one chick significantly smaller than the others and I think damaged legs from coming out of shell. The other 9 are fat, fluffly and feeding like crazy. I have watched some videos in fixing splay leg and gave that a try but the chick just flopped over and wouldnt move. Have decided to let nature take its course. My goal is to breed good chickens so this is my first tough lesson in good stock.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Does anyone include alfalfa pellets in their FF? I'd like to include them in my chickens' diet since I'm mixing my own, but didn't know if I could toss it in to ferment or not.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep...there are a lot who FF alfalfa along with their feed.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    A good chicken should provide breakfast, AND dinner, AND fertilizer, AND insect control, AND till your soil, all while providing excellent entertainment. It's the ultimate multi-purpose recycleable pet.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Hey, Utility cart does the heavy stuff. Got mine for Christmas and the best gift ever. Use it daily. [​IMG]

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Hey, thanks so much for the photos. I bookmarked them for future investigations. [​IMG]

7. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Why not have a bucket in (or just outside) each coop? Maybe right now it would freeze but Bee puts it in coolers with wheels. Their insulating ability keeps them from freezing (I think) and the wheels make it easy to go to the water source, the grain bag and then from coop to coop. You keep a big scoop in it or a small shovel to stir it and serve it, whatever works. : )

8. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    I'm somewhere in the middle. Like I said, my mistake was bringing her into the house causing her to become a "house chicken". I'll know better next time. For instance, I have two roos that no one wants so I am making special care not to care for them because I plan to eat them. I guess my ff stays OK because I feed it every day and stir it up every time I open the bucket. Thanks for the info Bee! : )

9. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    Hey Audio51 Have your eggs hatched yet or are you still waiting?? : )

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Some of the people keep their buckets in the coop (like me, except for winter time) and some use dollies or carts to cart the feed to the flocks. I'm a big ergonomics fan, so I don't much like wasted motion...keeping the feed close the animals to be fed is my favorite step minimizer for livestock care.

If I had 8 full flocks to feed, I'd be streamlining my system to where I had a central container or a few central buckets from which to dispense from, and in the winter time they would be in heated livestock watering buckets so that I could maintain that system close by.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by