FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well, you can see how much weight and muscle these WRs have on so little feed. They are the most feed thrifty breed I've ever had....huge, dense meaty carcasses and even good fat, on minimal feed. BAs are also very feed thrifty, as are NHs, RIRs and the other Rock varieties(BR, PR, etc.

Those that I have found that have very poor feed thrift: BOs, Wyandottes, EEs, sex links, SS, Delaware.

3. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013

4. ak rain

ak rain Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    I know Texas lived in the Big Bend country for years I don't miss the heat but the canyons on the Rio Bravo are beautyful
    Ak rain

5. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi there Bee, How are you doing? As you can see, I am catching up! I get busy and the world passes me by! Let's see, a BA is a black Australorp, a BO an orpington, and I think I know the others, but what's a WR? My Americaunas don't eat so much but give me an egg every day except in the middle of winter. Are they considered non thrifty because they aren't a meat bird? And about my chick with the sour crop....I went to my feed store and showed her to the guys there who said don't do anything, just watch to see if it wouldn't right itself since she was fine in every other way. So I spent the better part of a day researching the malady and found that the general concensus is to medicate them with Monistat suppositories for female yeast infections. Isn't that a hoot? So I went to the pharmacy armed with the name of the same ingredient but for poultry. We found it in all the treatments for jock itch and athletes foot. So instead of paying 15-22 dollars for Monistat, I paid $5 for a foot spray. She gave me some small syringes and I gave the chick a dose of the stuff. I lay in bed realizing I had given it a bunch of propelant that may have been tolulene or such other carcenagin. I wondered if I'd find a dead chick when I went to check this morning. She was fine, crop smaller. Next dose I let it aireate (sp) for the propellant to evaporate and added water and yogurt. They also used the cream which was also for itch and had a lot of other ingredients so didn't go for it. Lots of reports of success, but a vet said the yeast infection was a result of something else wrong like impaction, etc. We'll see what happens. Her crop is so large after a day of eating it is practically dragging on the ground. : )

6. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Sometimes I'm jealous of people that have short mild winters but then I remember how bad the summers are and stop complaining lol. For me its just we had so much snow then such cold temps so my paths are all solid ice, my ff freezes solid before they finish it, all poop and compost is frozen... I am just tired of it but I guess I shouldn't complain cuz my winters could be worse...

7. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks for your answer. I have a baby legbar I got Sat. Maybe she'll do me the favor of a pretty egg. What color does a NH lay? Dark brown like a Maran?My last hatch gave my a bunch of crosses that should result in olive eggs. I hope anyway. I kept from the 20 chicks a light blue Lavendar Americauna-Black Australorp cross and a dark blue Lavendar Americauna-Black Maran cross. I hope one of those gives nice olive eggs. I have a long time to wait! :)

8. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    I know just where you mean and agree. I went there many years with the Sierra Club for the Thanksgiving holiday. : )

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

WR=White Rock or Plymouth White Rock...the bird with all the fat is such a one. Feed thrift refers to how well a bird grows and maintains conditioning on certain amounts of food. Also is referred to as good feed conversion. I count it a poor feed thrift if a bird eats more than she lays and provides meat and if she has to eat a considerable amount just to keep her body in good condition...this loses you money on feed. So, to save money on feed, you choose birds that forage well so as to obtain a good bit of their food supply on forage. You choose birds that gain weight and maintain good conditioning without having to feed too much.

You also consider if they eat a lot but lay very little and have an average carcass...this is a bird that is wasting you money when there are other breeds out there that can lay better, finish out a better carcass and do it on the same amounts of feed as your average layer with small carcass weight.

10. Ariel188

Ariel188 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Southern CA
    Haha Thanks! Ill skip the ham hocks though, I am vegan except for my eggs and honey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by