FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

X 2 !!!

Been there, done that...single mom, working two jobs, always struggling to take a step and every forward one equals two steps back. It's a hard time of life.
hugs.gif

Quote:
If you aren't already put apple cider vinegar in her water. Its not something you can overdose so I would put about 1/4 cup per gallon. And give her some natural yogurt, not with sugar substitute. They both will promote the good bacteria and the vinegar especially seems to get rid of the bad. Jelly- this gives you more time to scout out craigslist and the neighborhood on garbage day for free finds to build your coop/run. If anyone is building a house by you, talk with the contractor about their "scrap" lumber & other materials. One persons' junk can be treasure for someone looking to build a coop.

Extremely! He's 8 this year and the last time he was at the vet was when we neutered him as a young dog. He bounces around like a puppy every day like he's got springs on his butt. He's never had diarrhea, no eczema, no health issues whatsoever. That's how hillbilly dogs usually are. He doesn't get baths, gets wormed once a year, lives outside in all weathers and he used to eat chicken poop many times a day until I switched to FF. Now he's not interested...not enough grains left in that poop now.

He sure is a handsome dude!! Look at that proud "See what I did" look! Can dog food be fermented? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I know my dog eats the chicken poop on occasion. They eat ff. Is the dog missing something in diet to eat the cp? I would be interested in ff for her if their is such a thing. I believe she is allergic to chicken, because I was buying store bought chicken legs for her to eat raw, and she would scratch and itch all the time. When I didn't give it to her, she would stop. I know it could be something in the store bought chicken, but sometimes I would give her organic chicken and she would have the same reaction. But I'm all for feeding healthier to her if there are any suggestions. I don't have access to fresh kill meat or bones. I wish I did though. Like another poster said about this thread "going to the dogs"!
tongue.png
Lol!

Quote:
It is something you can overdo....if feeding the FF one doesn't need to also use ACV and it can cause an imbalance in the pH that can aid the harmful yeast if it is already in overgrowth. I've heard from two different BYC members who were increasing organic acids to try and correct sour crop and it only made them not only have sour crop but also ended up with gleet.

Most chickens won't even drink the water with that much ACV in it...this I know from first hand experience.

He sure is a handsome dude!! Look at that proud "See what I did" look! Can dog food be fermented? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I know my dog eats the chicken poop on occasion. They eat ff. Is the dog missing something in diet to eat the cp? I would be interested in ff for her if their is such a thing. I believe she is allergic to chicken, because I was buying store bought chicken legs for her to eat raw, and she would scratch and itch all the time. When I didn't give it to her, she would stop. I know it could be something in the store bought chicken, but sometimes I would give her organic chicken and she would have the same reaction. But I'm all for feeding healthier to her if there are any suggestions. I don't have access to fresh kill meat or bones. I wish I did though. Like another poster said about this thread "going to the dogs"!
tongue.png
Lol!

Nope..typically chicken poop will have undigested or poorly digested grain in it, which most dogs will eat as they are opportunistic eaters. I've found that Jake won't eat the chicken poop anymore since I've been fermenting it and his diet or habits have not changed, so it must be the protein/sugar content of the chicken poop that has changed. Even the flies won't try to eat it anymore.

Jelly- this gives you more time to scout out craigslist and the neighborhood on garbage day for free finds to build your coop/run. If anyone is building a house by you, talk with the contractor about their "scrap" lumber & other materials. One persons' junk can be treasure for someone looking to build a coop.
I've already done that. :) My one neighbour does remodeling. I asked him to save stuff for me. He is also going to help me build the coop. Another neighbour is remodeling his 1920 house and I asked for any left over lumber. It will be a slow process, but I will get there. :)

X 2 !!!

Been there, done that...single mom, working two jobs, always struggling to take a step and every forward one equals two steps back. It's a hard time of life.
hugs.gif
I've been a single mom since my kids were 2 and 4 yrs. old. I know this only too well. My 'baby' just turned 20 this week and my oldest is graduating from college in May. :D I am so proud of both of them. :)

Quote:
If you aren't already put apple cider vinegar in her water. Its not something you can overdose so I would put about 1/4 cup per gallon. And give her some natural yogurt, not with sugar substitute. They both will promote the good bacteria and the vinegar especially seems to get rid of the bad.
Absolutely you can overdose with ACV. I dare you to sit down and drink a full 8 oz of undiluted ACV...tell me what you think after that! ;) A sour crop is already too acidic. Adding more acid isn't going to help. A probiotic might help, such as yogurt. But ACV is not a probiotic. The unpasteurized stuff may have some live enzymes and yes, live acetobacter, but acteobacter is not considered a probiotic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom