FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm looking to start feeding organic soy free whole grain fermented feed to my layers. What organic grains are you mixing and fermenting?

My first batch is on day 2.
I started with layer pellets, so had to add more water as they swell a lot more than twice their size.
I thought I had added enough, but the tops were dry after only half an hour.

Now it is looking bubbly and well, kind of like the old recipe for Amish Friendship bread where you add sugar, flour and milk every other day, then make more and give some away after 10 days. (I'd love to have a starter for that BTW)

I did toss a handful in the trough, and the chickens ran FROM their pellets to fight over it.
I think this will be a good change :)

Beekissed, I fermented food for my girls a couple of times but stopped doing it cause my dogs would end up eating the food the minute I turned my back. I now just water down the food each morning when I make the girls breakfast... It's not fermented but it gets soft and they still like it. Is there any benefits to the birds for wet feed even if not fermented???

Beekissed, I fermented food for my girls a couple of times but stopped doing it cause my dogs would end up eating the food the minute I turned my back. I now just water down the food each morning when I make the girls breakfast... It's not fermented but it gets soft and they still like it. Is there any benefits to the birds for wet feed even if not fermented???
In both hot and cold weather wet feed reduces the need of chickens to drink water to soften their food in preparation for digestion. Wet food also speeds up digestion and seems to result in less heat induced strain on the birds in extremely hot weather.

No real benefit other than the ease of eating it and it won't get spooned out of the feeder as much as dry feed. You might just consider feeding your FF once a day and keep the dogs away from where they are eating for that time period....the chickens can clean up the feed pretty quickly if given a chance and not competing with dogs.

FFeed is full of probiotics and good bacteria.
1f44d.png
1f413.png
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom