FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

When I started fermenting kombucha, I used a paper towel held on with rubber band or hair tie.. Then I used thin fabric held on the same... keeps the fruit flys out too

Awesome idea!! I'll do that. They sell small mason jars with mesh lids for $25. So dumb. I'll use my own jar and a piece of cheesecloth for free. ♡

Ya'll! I just cant get my 24 week older girls to eat the fermented feed! I have built a feeder that holds a few days worth of feed but the issue is it rains every day! With the wind the feed gets wet and I have to dig it all out. And re fill. (I even made a big "roof" cover for the feeder)So I started fermenting with the Purina oyster strong layer feed. Well they will not eat it. I have tried adding things to the top of it but they just pick out what they want and are done. My 4 week old chicks love it though (Chick starter feed). It's annoying to have to do for one and not the other. I want them to eventually be on the same diet prepared the same way. If the rain would stop then I wouldn't have an issue with wet feed. That was kind of my main focus to ferment aside from the great benefits!

Attachments

• D8ECB307-B96E-4B38-B94F-A8B50BC4B4DC.jpeg
    D8ECB307-B96E-4B38-B94F-A8B50BC4B4DC.jpeg
    910.6 KB · Views: 2
if you offer some fresh ff in a dish, you'll be able to establish whether it is the feed or something else that is the issue (e.g. if your feeder holds several days' worth of feed, as you say, maybe it's going off by the time they can see it)

if you offer some fresh ff in a dish, you'll be able to establish whether it is the feed or something else that is the issue (e.g. if your feeder holds several days' worth of feed, as you say, maybe it's going off by the time they can see it)
I actually do put the FF in a small glass bowl. They smell it peck it and then wipe their beaks repeatedly then walk away or stalk me wanting something else!

OK. Perhaps try fermenting simple grain? My birds don't like pellets in any form but come running for fermented grain.

I get a sack of premium grain from a country stores near me; it's milled about 50 miles away and there's a BB date on the sack (current one, bought about a month ago, is BB 9/9/18 for example). It's 74% wheat, 24% cut maize, 2% veg oil. I should add that my birds free range in 2/3 of an acre of mixed grass, shrub and woodland dawn till dusk, so they are not dependent on the feed and eat all sorts on their travels, and I also give occasionally natural yogurt, grated carrot, mealworms, other fruit and veg etc.. If your birds are confined you have to try to supply them with everything they need.

then you'll need to do your research to try and ensure you supply all they need nutritionally, if you opt out of commercial processed feeds. Personally I think it's worth it :) for happy healthy hens, sweet smelling coop, and delicious fresh eggs ...

I’ve read quite a lot here and it all seems to concern fermenting grains and commercial feed. Cool idea! I’m going to give that a go, but what I was wandering about when I clicked on the topic was fermenting greens for winter. Do chickens like silage?

Back
Top Bottom