FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I stir mine once a day, sometimes twice. I cover it with a cheesecloth otherwise to keep stuff from landing in it. Def don’t cover it tightly with anything, it will explode! The gases caused by fermenting need to be able to escape. I don’t use anything but feed and water.
I had a lid on it last week and never saw gases or that it was bulging...wonder if it didn’t ferment?!

Ok guys I think I fermented a little too much for Hazel and Pearl. I've fed 1/2 cup twice a day for two days and I have about 2 cups left. I haven't added to the container. Will it be ok to feed for another day then add a cup of fresh feed and water? Do I need to strain all the old feed out and only leave behind the water to add to? Trying to get started and just not sure...

Ok guys I think I fermented a little too much for Hazel and Pearl. I've fed 1/2 cup twice a day for two days and I have about 2 cups left. I haven't added to the container. Will it be ok to feed for another day then add a cup of fresh feed and water? Do I need to strain all the old feed out and only leave behind the water to add to? Trying to get started and just not sure...
Just add to it and mix it up.

So what is left behind and adding to it doesn't ever cause it to go rancid?
Not in my experience. Fermenting feed, slop back, add new to the old, old makes the new work quicker, never have had funk or bad. I mix five gallon batches, well in a five gallon bucket so maybe three gallons always working. I imagine not all of the old , not every last bit gets removed regularly I'm sure. Never had a bad batch, I'd probably eat it myself if I really had to, but it would probably take a lot of maple syrup :lol:

I agree. Just keep using it until there’s a very little left, mix in new food and let it sit overnight. I don’t keep mine submerged in water, I mix it to a oatmeal consistency on the first day and only add a little water if needed to keep it at that consistency. It doesn’t go rancid or grow mold etc. Itll be fine to keep using yours until you’re ready to mix new.

Do I need to strain all the old feed out and only leave behind the water to add to?

I don't have extra water in mine, it's mixed to a thicker consistency. After I scoop the feed out for the day, I add more dry and some water (back slop). I check it when I get home and adjust with more feed or water as needed, by morning it's ready to feed out again. If you go away (vacation) cover your fermented and put it in the refrigerator, this stops the fermentation. When you get home take it out and continue as you were, there is no need to start a new batch. Here's a pic of how thick I make it, no visible water. This is how my chickens prefer it.

Fermented feed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom