FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I like the concept of FF very much (especially because the girls won't eat the fines) but I have a logistics question. I've got 14 9-week old chicks living in a fabulous coop and covered run. My routine has been to go out around 10am to give fresh water (and these days haul out ice for it), add a scoop of feed to the feeder, do a general fluff and puff and open the pop door so they can access the temporary "playpen" we established with one of the Omlet fence thingys. I read that foxes are done with their foxy business by 10am so that works out well, I then leave the pop door all day (and we have supervised free-range in the late afternoon).

If people don't leave FF in the coop overnight, my 10am routine would not work because that is way to late from them to have access to food. And I like my 10am routine! I am not a morning person!

I am not concerned about mice because unless one sneaks in through the pop-door during the day, we're thoroughly mouse proof, I mean, we rented an excavator and buried hardware cloth 2 feet into the ground!

So can I leave FF overnight or would I simply need to haul myself out at 8am to feed the wee darlings?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

When I have left over FF, I stick the feeder in the coop for the night. Here's my suggestion:

It sounds like you are very much a hand's on flock manager: you visit your birds multiple times/day. I would give them a small portion in their coop at night, just enough for a breakfast snack. Then, when you open up at 10 AM, you could give them the rest of their daily portion. It really shouldn't go bad if left out overnight.

My birds have an auto pop door. Their run is DL. So, even if I don't get around to putting out their FF until later in the morning, they have plenty of fresh protein in the DL.

Hello!

This is my first time fermenting for my hens and pullets. I have one question...
is it okay that some grains I mixed in with the crumbles are covered in molasses? Purchased it like that, it's some kind of all flock.

I tried FF last week. My girls would not touch it. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons 23 weeks old. I never smelled the "sweet smell",I fermented it for 4 days. We are using the layer crumbles by Purina.
I also have 2 Cochin chicks that I FF with chick starter that did smell sweet and used it 3 or 4 days then it smelled very bad... Is it supposed to go bad that soon?
Also since its just those 2 Buffs eating it, I have no clue how much to make per day.. If they don't eat it all (out of the container) can I use it for a few days then add to the mix? Will any leftovers in the batch go bad within a few days?

I tried FF last week. My girls would not touch it. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons 23 weeks old. I never smelled the "sweet smell",I fermented it for 4 days. We are using the layer crumbles by Purina.
I also have 2 Cochin chicks that I FF with chick starter that did smell sweet and used it 3 or 4 days then it smelled very bad... Is it supposed to go bad that soon?
Also since its just those 2 Buffs eating it, I have no clue how much to make per day.. If they don't eat it all (out of the container) can I use it for a few days then add to the mix? Will any leftovers in the batch go bad within a few days?

Some people start feeding to birds not used to FF on the first day so they get used to it... and put some dry on top to get them to try it... If it is kept where it is hot the feed can ferment more than the chickens like in 4 days
Have you seen this article a member wrote on FF?
https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Back
Top Bottom