FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
First a self note: you've read to page 83

Tell him that there are people on here who recorded feed consumption and costs comparisons of when they feed dry to when they feed FF and found that they feed almost half what they feed dry when using the FF.  Almost half the cost of their normal feeding....half.  That's a lot of money when you think about it adding up.  So you pay half the cost you usually do for your eggs, your chickens live longer, healthier and more productive(yes, even more eggs than normally produced) lives, the eggs taste better~by far!, the coop stinks less and needs less cleaning. 

If that ain't worth pouring some water on the feed and waiting a bit, I don't know what is!  :D

If he doesn't want to make you a trough, just get his tools and head outside..and do it in front of him.  Nothing will make a man move faster than a woman headed to the outdoors with his tools.  :gig If it doesn't, build your own trough.  There is no man around here building mine...I do all the building of things that need doing here and you can too.  It takes absolutely no skill to work a drill and a sawsall.  I can attest to that!  :D

And, yes, you can dish out several day's worth of feed and leave it for them...it will actually be safer than when you used dry, as the mice don't seem as attracted to the coop now that dry feeds aren't being scattered all over the floor and crevices and I've not seen them be able to get a speck of this FF as the chickens eat it so quickly and thoroughly. 

Yep I live alone and have done most of the coop so far all by myself. If someone with "balance problems and high risk for falling" with no building experience can do that (my coop progress so far is a thread here) anyone with a saw and either hammer and nails or screws can make a feeder trough. I actually use berry (slotted) trays inserted inside a plastic drywall mud trough set inside a plastic miter box hooked to a piece of wood dividing the scratch area and rear of coop. It can be lifted out and set in yard during the day and works to get them into the coop if I have to leave early. The berry containers work well to carry the feed out to the trough and if a little too moist sits just above the bottom of the mud trough so it will finish draining. Then they will drink the liquid from trough later in day!

It would be simply lovely.  What if you don't like me as much when we meet in person?  :D   You'll spend the whole way home calling me names like hick, redneck, hillbilly, idiot, backwoods and stoopid.....  :gig

They would me too Bee. In fact my friend downstate started singing "Green Acres is the place to be...." when I chose to move back here when I divorced. But I call it Wineinger Wetlands.

I'm no expert, not by a long shot!  Even if confined to pen and run, cutting back a little and only feeding once a day should be fine.  Especially then..they get very little exercise in a coop and run situation, so they don't need a ton of food to keep a good body condition. You'll have to experiment with it and see how they do when you cut back...on body condition, not on signs of appetite.  If you go by how hungry they act you'll be tube feeding them continuously just to fill their gullets.  :gig

Take them down to half a bucket and see how long it takes for them to eat it.  They should have enough for one good meal and a snack later on...if not, take it a little lower until they do.  Give them some good deep litter in the coop and run to give them something to do while they are in jail and they will adjust to the lower activity/lower feed levels. 

Now that my flock are not finding bugs out on forage, I'm increasing their daily allotment up to 2 1/2 c. of feed per day from 1 1/2 c. and will monitor it from there.  Will be adding some BOSS this weekend for some fats and fiber in the FF. 

Ok Bee is your "BOSS" that commercial stuff I saw at the Farm & Family Home store or the nickname for black oil sunflowers? I had assumed it was sunflowers until I saw the commercial stuff in a bottle at the store.

Yeah..it's just sunflower seeds.
big_smile.png

ok, you are the best Bee! I have some BOSS. I'll throw some in the FF bucket. I've just been giving them a handful or two as a treat. I do have some pumpkins right now. Could I just cut them open and let them eat it? or is it better to through them in the FF bucket? How about spaghetti squash will it deworm? i have some here and dont' think we'll get around to eating them.

All gourds have cucurbitin in the seeds to some degree but pumpkin seems to have the most...but it sure wouldn't hurt to give them the squash as a nutritious and possibly antihelmintic addition to their diet.

Hey, Check out the threads on Kombucha or just google it. Apparently we can beneifit greatly from the same fermentation. Primitive peoples that over hundreds of years use fermented foods were found to be much healthier than modern eating man.

Okay Bee, I'll bite, what is curcubin (have forgotten how to spell it and can't go back to see!)?? Is it something harmful to chickens? Here I thought pumpkin seeds were good for chickens; they're good for me?? I've got free pumpkins to go fetch today especially for the chickens and wonder if it is okay for them to eat those seeds? chicken lovin' beverly

Okay Bee, I'll bite, what is curcubin (have forgotten how to spell it and can't go back to see!)?? Is it something harmful to chickens? Here I thought pumpkin seeds were good for chickens; they're good for me?? I've got free pumpkins to go fetch today especially for the chickens and wonder if it is okay for them to eat those seeds? chicken lovin' beverly

Not bad, very good!
smile.png

and a carboxypyrrolidine that can eliminate parasitic worms.[citation needed] It is found in Cucurbita seeds.[1][2] In 1992, a patent was filed to use the (-)-enantiomer in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.[3] Cucurbitin is found in uncooked pumpkin seeds.[4] Cucurbitin is an inhibitor of histidine decarboxylase, which is associated with inhibition of the biosynthesis of histamine responsible, among other things, for the formation of the inflammatory response.[5] It is used in cosmetics for dry and sensitive skin and for the treatment of schistosomiasis. Cucurbitin causes degenerative changes in the reproductive organs of parasitic flatworms called flukes

Not bad, very good!
smile.png

Wow, good to know, so I am very disappointed that my chickens weren't thrilled with the pumpkin I went and got for them tonite. Well this afternoon actually. They pecked at it but didn't eat much, so I cooked a big chunk of it and they weren't much more interested. Maybe when they wake up hungry in the AM if the squirrels haven't eaten it they'll have another go at it. I wonder if I should cut the seeds open for them. They are really big and they aren't eating them. I can maybe grate it for them. I think it is hard and they're spoiled rotten; want it soft! THX for the good info. : ) beverly

Back
Top Bottom