FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Wow, good to know, so I am very disappointed that my chickens weren't thrilled with the pumpkin I went and got for them tonite. Well this afternoon actually. They pecked at it but didn't eat much, so I cooked a big chunk of it and they weren't much more interested. Maybe when they wake up hungry in the AM if the squirrels haven't eaten it they'll have another go at it. I wonder if I should cut the seeds open for them. They are really big and they aren't eating them. I can maybe grate it for them. I think it is hard and they're spoiled rotten; want it soft! THX for the good info. : ) beverly

Try letting it rot and ferment. After all the fluid has drained out and the pumpkin is more like a sponge, they will rip it to shreds like sharks at a feeding frenzy. Just place the pumpkins outside somewhere up on a pallet or something similar where the mess can be drained off, let them freeze and thaw and just get to a deflated looking lump and then break one open for them. Should do the trick.

Try letting it rot and ferment. After all the fluid has drained out and the pumpkin is more like a sponge, they will rip it to shreds like sharks at a feeding frenzy. Just place the pumpkins outside somewhere up on a pallet or something similar where the mess can be drained off, let them freeze and thaw and just get to a deflated looking lump and then break one open for them. Should do the trick.

Okay, I'll do that, but they won't be freezing here in Texas any time soon. We had 80 degrees today. I worked on my wooden spools some more, but ran out of wood. I have to go find a pallet to tear up. I'm putting slats all around two of those huge electric cable spools to give my cks. somewhere to hide from the hawks when all the leaves fall off my trees. I guess that huge pumpkin I cut open will take a while to rot but the sun should do it. And they gave me four more! They were selling them, but when I said just wanted it for my chickens they gave me a bunch they said were unsellable. So we'll be in pumpkins for a long time! : ) beverly

If you have space in your freezer you can give them a good freeze and then set them out to thaw. They should then make some interesting Halloween decorations....
lol.png

If you have space in your freezer you can give them a good freeze and then set them out to thaw. They should then make some interesting Halloween decorations....
lol.png

Nope, no large freezer, and those dumb girls ate none of the cooked this morning. Oh well so much for getting free food for the chooks.

Just store them somewhere outside and let them ferment in place then and you can feed that later...it changes the nature of the starch in the pumpkin and also softens the seeds, making the gourd more nutritious and the seeds more palatable. A lot of syrup will run out of the pumpkin, so leave it somewhere it won't make a huge mess.

Yeah, I think my chickens are weird. They are on ff and only 5 wks old this Tuesday but they are not interested in ANY kitchen scrap I have tried.

Well they ate fermented farro and seemed to like it - - ate the whole thing. I have 5 layers and only one egg yesterday and 2 today, no real loss of feathers either. So I cooked them some turkey hamburger with brown rice to put some quality protein in them. I really think it is the stress from having been on their own for a year and now being buggered nonstop by these two randy roosters I'm trying to place. Can that upset their laying ya think? and am I right to try to up their protein with meat? I've only been a chicken addict for 1 1/2 years. Still lots to learn from all you experts out there.

lol.png
gig.gif
you so stinkin' funny Bee. Here I am sitting here my eyeballs hurt and nose hurts from the pressure from my sinuses and you say something like that and get me to giggling. lol The ragweed is blooming here and it's getting me or just about to anyway.
wink.png
Yeah suppose to be in the 80's this week here to. Would have to freeze em in the freezer around here right now.
tongue.png

Well they ate fermented farro and seemed to like it - - ate the whole thing. I have 5 layers and only one egg yesterday and 2 today, no real loss of feathers either. So I cooked them some turkey hamburger with brown rice to put some quality protein in them. I really think it is the stress from having been on their own for a year and now being buggered nonstop by these two randy roosters I'm trying to place. Can that upset their laying ya think? and am I right to try to up their protein with meat? I've only been a chicken addict for 1 1/2 years. Still lots to learn from all you experts out there.

Well...I'm not one for cooking anything for a chicken, so I'm going to vote NO on cooking meat meant for humans for a feather duster.
lol.png
Just simple feed, fermented in a bucket...it does a chicken good. That's all. I know it just sounds too simple and there must be a catch to it, but there isn't. The source I have shows distillers and brewers grains(pretty much watered down FF grains) sitting at 25 and 24% protein, respectively, and that's way higher than I ever recommend...if it wasn't a more perfect protein in the form of amino acids, I'd never recommend protein higher than 16%. This fermentation takes your simple chicken feed and supersizes the proteins, minerals and vitamins so no further supplementation is needed at that point. And that's the point of the fermenting...to take something weak and make it strong, something cheap and make it luxurious..but still cheap, something simple and keep it simple.

gig.gif
you so stinkin' funny Bee. Here I am sitting here my eyeballs hurt and nose hurts from the pressure from my sinuses and you say something like that and get me to giggling. lol The ragweed is blooming here and it's getting me or just about to anyway.
wink.png
Yeah suppose to be in the 80's this week here to. Would have to freeze em in the freezer around here right now.
tongue.png

You think that's funny...the Dave Leghorn story is worthy of wearing incontinence pads..for real.
lol.png
So sorry you are sneezing..but as long as your eyes and nose are a runnin', go laugh 'til you cry about ol' Dave. You'll love the one about Dolly Carton and her list of songs that have topped the country and poop charts.

Last edited:
Well...I'm not one for cooking anything for a chicken, so I'm going to vote NO on cooking meat meant for humans for a feather duster.
lol.png
Just simple feed, fermented in a bucket...it does a chicken good. That's all. I know it just sounds too simple and there must be a catch to it, but there isn't. The source I have shows distillers and brewers grains(pretty much watered down FF grains) sitting at 25 and 24% protein, respectively, and that's way higher than I ever recommend...if it wasn't a more perfect protein in the form of amino acids, I'd never recommend protein higher than 16%. This fermentation takes your simple chicken feed and supersizes the proteins, minerals and vitamins so no further supplementation is needed at that point. And that's the point of the fermenting...to take something weak and make it strong, something cheap and make it luxurious..but still cheap, something simple and keep it simple.

You think that's funny...the Dave Leghorn story is worthy of wearing incontinence pads..for real.
lol.png
So sorry you are sneezing..but as long as your eyes and nose are a runnin', go laugh 'til you cry about ol' Dave. You'll love the one about Dolly Carton and her list of songs that have topped the country and poop charts.
Thanks Bee, The meat was to get the body health going because nobody is laying and the ff is not on track yet, not a normal thing. But I do make them pancakes. But if I can ferment all that powder feed so they will eat it I won't have to make it into pancakes anymore. I'm not too nuts, just hate waste! Okay, share the wealth! Tell me the Dave Leghorn joke?
han

Back
Top Bottom