FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
now you have done it. the birds will come running to you now that you converted them.. they love the fermented feed. if you run from the birds they will run after you like the Alfred Hitchcock movie the birds. on a funny note my kitten decided to stalk a chicken today. the bird did the oh crap chirp. 5-6 other chickens came running. the kitten did the oh crap i am out numbered thing. did an about face and ran for the house.

lau.gif
Pretty funny!

rose,
do not give up. put some dry feed on top of the ferment feed and the birds will figure it out. you have to remember the birds do not know what it is. hence the term bird brain i never used ferment feed until last year. i am going to tell you the health benefits far outweigh the pain in the neck converting them to it. once they take to it look out the will love you forever they maybe bring you a ring and insist you leave your current relationship. . also the fermented feed produces natural resistance to illness. trust me i will give you the proof. keep trying i guarantee the birds will come around.. in the chicken world things do not get fixed overnight. they just do not. just wait when you have to deal with feather loss. now that is waiting. with feed it can take weeks to see if your the feed is doing what it supposed to..
i just thought of something . take some heated bacon grease or lard. put it on the top of the ferment feed. them boogers will go at it like flies on cow crap. in a day or 3 the birds feathers will shine like glass.. if you have cock birds they will chase every hen around in a 5 mile radius
the bacon grease trick was taught to me by Al an old timer that i think came out of the womb with a chicken in his hand.

this is my first time hearing about fermenting chicken feed. what is the upside to doin this? what is ASP that I should add to this process? any help in this would be appreciated.

thanks

this is my first time hearing about fermenting chicken feed. what is the upside to doin this? what is ASP that I should add to this process? any help in this would be appreciated.

thanks
the upside to ferment is real simple. it just plain good for the birds. the nutrition factor alone is worth it's weight in gold. bee is better at explaining than me.. i can tell you birds look and thrive better. also the ferment is a natural disease resistant.my birds thrive with no illness.

thanks

You might want to just read from the beginning. This thread and one in the meat bird section have all the benefits associated with it and they are many.

Not sure what ASP stands for, so not sure how to help you there.

The short list of benefits are as follows...and this is the short list:

1. Increased overall health and vigor
  2. Increased absorption of all nutrients in the feed you are currently using~important to note that a lot of the nutrients you currently feed are not able to be utilized by a monogastric animal like chickens.
  3. Increase in egg yolk size
  4. Increase in rate of lay
  5. Decrease in sulfur smell and taste of eggs
  6. Decrease in smell of feces
  7. Increase in quality of feathering and molt recovery
  8. Increase in resistance to common poultry diseases such as coccidiosis, salmonella, e. coli, shigella, giardia, etc.
  9. Increase in parasite resistance
  10. Increase in overall immune system function
  11. Decrease in feed costs as feed consumption goes down...some report by half!
  12. Decrease in heat stress symptoms due to increased hydration and electrolyte replacement

You might want to just read from the beginning. This thread and one in the meat bird section have all the benefits associated with it and they are many.

Not sure what ASP stands for, so not sure how to help you there.

The short list of benefits are as follows...and this is the short list:

1. Increased overall health and vigor
  2. Increased absorption of all nutrients in the feed you are currently using~important to note that a lot of the nutrients you currently feed are not able to be utilized by a monogastric animal like chickens.
  3. Increase in egg yolk size
  4. Increase in rate of lay
  5. Decrease in sulfur smell and taste of eggs
  6. Decrease in smell of feces
  7. Increase in quality of feathering and molt recovery
  8. Increase in resistance to common poultry diseases such as coccidiosis, salmonella, e. coli, shigella, giardia, etc.
  9. Increase in parasite resistance
  10. Increase in overall immune system function
  11. Decrease in feed costs as feed consumption goes down...some report by half!
  12. Decrease in heat stress symptoms due to increased hydration and electrolyte replacement
thumbsup.gif

Do you think she meant ACV instead of ASP?

Don't forget that one of the benefits is that, once they get used to it (and some WILL take longer than others to convert), the birds act like kids in a candy store every feeding time and the entertainment value to the chicken keeper is really high!

I had two juvie roos start halfway fighting over the ff two days ago. Neck stretched, hackles raised, flapping at each other, etc. Well, my 9.5 year old hen (who we've been contemplating processing due to increased slowness in her movements) stepped right between them and started wearing BOTH of them out like a boss! (And I mean that in the old fashioned meaning of the word, and not as the acronym for black oil sunflower seeds...) It really was like someone's little old great-grandmother grabbing the ears of two rambunctious teenage grandsons at the dinner table and giving them the what-for for not minding their manners. I think she continued to give them both the stink eye for another half hour afterwards. And the whole time, my primary roo, Reuben, never even looked over 'cause he was too busy chowing down. Absolutely one of the funniest moments I've ever experienced with my birds!

So what is the best way to ferment the feed? Is there a right and wrong way?
Also if feed consumption is cut in half, as stated above, how can that be good?

Back
Top Bottom