FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Beekissed, or anyone else who knows...

I am reading that my hens need 1/4 pound of feed a day. If I am fermenting, then it works out to 1/8 a pound a day, fermented, right? I am trying to place a feed order and want to get enough to last for a bit. I feed a non-soy, organic grower, and most of them are out to graze the woods from 9-5 every day also. I am also trying to make sure they are getting enough...since they camp outside my door like refugees hoping I will feed them more!

And I have to say, what others have said about them jumping into the scoop and bucket...it is hilarious! My chicken-who-thinks-it's-a -guinea got a huge scoopful of ff on its head the other day, it was so excited!

Beekissed, or anyone else who knows...

I am reading that my hens need 1/4 pound of feed a day. If I am fermenting, then it works out to 1/8 a pound a day, fermented, right? I am trying to place a feed order and want to get enough to last for a bit. I feed a non-soy, organic grower, and most of them are out to graze the woods from 9-5 every day also. I am also trying to make sure they are getting enough...since they camp outside my door like refugees hoping I will feed them more!

And I have to say, what others have said about them jumping into the scoop and bucket...it is hilarious! My chicken-who-thinks-it's-a -guinea got a huge scoopful of ff on its head the other day, it was so excited!

Put down what you are reading and erase that information from your mind.
big_smile.png
What each bird or flock needs cannot be found in a book because each bird and flock are different. Bantam breeds won't need what standard breeds need and layers won't need what meat birds need, free rangers won't need what confined birds need, etc.

That is a standard that someone dug up somewhere from some USDA recommended source, I'm thinking, because I simply cannot imagine anyone thinking that this standard holds true in a backyard flock. For one, you simply cannot insure that each bird is going to receive her quarter pound unless you are feeding each bird individually...if you're not, Suzy Orpington is going to eat half of Betty Australorp's feed and get tremendously fat, have laying issues because of it and die an untimely death.
tongue.png

They will always camp outside your door like refugees...even right after filling their guts with an enormous meal. I've never once seen one of my flocks sated in their hunger...a chicken's appetite is never really put to rest for long and they are opportunistic eaters, so they are constantly on the watch for opportunity. Always. There never really is "enough" in their world. Ever. Trust me on this.

This is what I have found about feeding FF...use the same scoop and feed the same amount that you fed dry. As the grains are swollen with scoby fluid, they are displacing more area than a dry kernel or feed fragment. Half again their normal size in most cases, depending on the grain. So, try just feeding the same number of scoops you fed as dry ration and it's likely you will get approximately the right amount. But, I never encourage anyone to stick to the same feed rations day and day out each day, like a robot that has no reasoning.

Look at your birds for general condition and laying performance. Look at their mobility and if they are quick on their feet~ or if they are running like linebackers instead? Do they waddle when they walk, pushing themselves forward like it's a chore to take that next step? They are too fat. If they run from side to side on their feet instead of in a quick scissor motion with their legs, they are too fat. If they only range a little bit around the coop and don't get very far from the food source of the coop...they aren't hungry enough to truly forage and hunt.

Are they looking a little slim, with their full crops fully noticeable on their chest when normally you can't see their crop that distinctly? Could be they need a little more. When their crops are not full, do you notice a big overlapping line of feathers on the chest? Could be they need more. Other than young birds that are not mature, when you pick up your birds do their breast bones feel abnormally sharp? Could be they need more food. When you pick them up and you can't feel their breast bone at all, they are either a CX ready for butcher, or your gals are too fat.

It's these little adjustments that I encourage people to do and not to hold some standard in a book as the starting point of what is accurate for a bird. If your birds are confined, they do not need continuous rations...they aren't doing anything, so why are people feeding them like a workhorse? They are couch potatoes getting very little exercise, so their needs for more nutrition isn't real.

If they are free ranged,it will be according to the amount of food they can forage, so let them forage all day and then feed them and you will get a realistic idea of what their nutritional needs are throughout the year. But adjustments must be made for optimal health...not just for optimal nutrition amounts.

Sorry...you probably didn't need to hear all that but that's been bugging me for some time now, these so-called amounts per bird. It's so standard when we are dealing with anything but the standard conditions on this forum...those amounts are for confined feeding operations for battery hens, where the companies have to have that formula to set it into their machines for dispensing.

Order as much feed as you think your flock will go through in a month or two and store it somewhere it will stay fresh and dry. That's my very best advice!

Last edited:
Oh, mercy! Please don't ever think you are going on too much for me! I was just wishing I could come camp out at your kitchen table for a week to glean even a fraction of what you have learned in your chicken years! If only....
love.gif
I do believe I am going to go back and search your posts and write 'The Beekissed Book of Wise Chicken Keeping'. At the very least, I am printing your last post to refer back to.

This is exactly what I have been trying to figure out...how to find the balance in what they need. My birds are young...the oldest will be 16 weeks this week, down to the youngest who will be seven weeks. We have an unseemly amount of roosters (God stocking my freezer, I have decided) at least 16 out of my 31 birds are roos. Four are going to Freezer Camp this weekend, the others to follow shortly, as they mature and fill out.

Thank you so much for your wise advice. I am going to go put my scale away now!
wink.png

th.gif
Thank you! I was waiting for the blast of "how dare you use that tone with me, who do you think you are" kinda post (I've gotten those before when I lose my mind in the question and answering process and don't use the right "tone" for folks). Thank you for being so receptive!
hugs.gif
I don't mean to sound bossy but I go off on a tangent and then I don't know how to change the tone without changing the tenor of the information given...you know? Bless yer pea pickin' heart!
frow.gif

Oh, mercy! Please don't ever think you are going on too much for me! I was just wishing I could come camp out at your kitchen table for a week to glean even a fraction of what you have learned in your chicken years! If only....
love.gif
I do believe I am going to go back and search your posts and write 'The Beekissed Book of Wise Chicken Keeping'. At the very least, I am printing your last post to refer back to.
When is the book coming out?

I’m putting in my order now! (looking for credit card number and searching Amazon...)

Put down what you are reading and erase that information from your mind.
big_smile.png
What each bird or flock needs cannot be found in a book because each bird and flock are different. Bantam breeds won't need what standard breeds need and layers won't need what meat birds need, free rangers won't need what confined birds need, etc.

That is a standard that someone dug up somewhere from some USDA recommended source, I'm thinking, because I simply cannot imagine anyone thinking that this standard holds true in a backyard flock. For one, you simply cannot insure that each bird is going to receive her quarter pound unless you are feeding each bird individually...if you're not, Suzy Orpington is going to eat half of Betty Australorp's feed and get tremendously fat, have laying issues because of it and die an untimely death.
tongue.png

They will always camp outside your door like refugees...even right after filling their guts with an enormous meal. I've never once seen one of my flocks sated in their hunger...a chicken's appetite is never really put to rest for long and they are opportunistic eaters, so they are constantly on the watch for opportunity. Always. There never really is "enough" in their world. Ever. Trust me on this.

This is what I have found about feeding FF...use the same scoop and feed the same amount that you fed dry. As the grains are swollen with scoby fluid, they are displacing more area than a dry kernel or feed fragment. Half again their normal size in most cases, depending on the grain. So, try just feeding the same number of scoops you fed as dry ration and it's likely you will get approximately the right amount. But, I never encourage anyone to stick to the same feed rations day and day out each day, like a robot that has no reasoning.

Look at your birds for general condition and laying performance. Look at their mobility and if they are quick on their feet~ or if they are running like linebackers instead? Do they waddle when they walk, pushing themselves forward like it's a chore to take that next step? They are too fat. If they run from side to side on their feet instead of in a quick scissor motion with their legs, they are too fat. If they only range a little bit around the coop and don't get very far from the food source of the coop...they aren't hungry enough to truly forage and hunt.

Are they looking a little slim, with their full crops fully noticeable on their chest when normally you can't see their crop that distinctly? Could be they need a little more. When their crops are not full, do you notice a big overlapping line of feathers on the chest? Could be they need more. Other than young birds that are not mature, when you pick up your birds do their breast bones feel abnormally sharp? Could be they need more food. When you pick them up and you can't feel their breast bone at all, they are either a CX ready for butcher, or your gals are too fat.

It's these little adjustments that I encourage people to do and not to hold some standard in a book as the starting point of what is accurate for a bird. If your birds are confined, they do not need continuous rations...they aren't doing anything, so why are people feeding them like a workhorse? They are couch potatoes getting very little exercise, so their needs for more nutrition isn't real.

If they are free ranged,it will be according to the amount of food they can forage, so let them forage all day and then feed them and you will get a realistic idea of what their nutritional needs are throughout the year. But adjustments must be made for optimal health...not just for optimal nutrition amounts.

Sorry...you probably didn't need to hear all that but that's been bugging me for some time now, these so-called amounts per bird. It's so standard when we are dealing with anything but the standard conditions on this forum...those amounts are for confined feeding operations for battery hens, where the companies have to have that formula to set it into their machines for dispensing.

Order as much feed as you think your flock will go through in a month or two and store it somewhere it will stay fresh and dry. That's my very best advice!
WOW I enjoyed that! GOOD READ! Cutting and pasting this one to so I will have it on hand when I need this info easily. Thank you Bee for taking the time to do this! Well mine went farther today so I guess they were hungry. They still had a little left over food in their trough last night though but not much. Went with even less this evening so when I go out to shut their back gate tonight I will check to see if they have any left over. They are STILL after 2 days come a runnin' when I go out there for something. Wanted to change their water this evening so it would be nice and clean before it started raining so I wouldn't get sopping wet. Every time I have to go outside for something here they come. Number 1 Rhode Island Red was the one venturing out today. He was almost in the front yard where they've never been. They're starting to go out a little farther each day. On the other side of the pond that is in front of the house is an area with not many trees so I'd prefer they didn't go out there since they don't have any cover OR anything to hide under in case of hawks.

OH NO NEVER too much for me either!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE reading your stuff!!!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I've noticed that...everyone wants it yesterday and they don't want to study or learn. That's a shame because most of the work of natural husbandry is in the learning of it, as the implementing it is relatively easy.

Actually, it's much easier than learning about all the diseases and symptoms and medicines, going through the stress of trying to figure out what is wrong with your chickens and trying to find a solution, and then the feeling of stress of dealing with trying to juggle family, life and, on top of that, this difficult flock husbandry.

All natural husbandry is much like a dance with the seasons and the natural rhythms of the flock, with the wonderful feeling of no stress and good, healthy lives for your animals as the end product. It's incredibly easy to do and easy to sustain for years upon years. No book needed.

th.gif
Thank you! I was waiting for the blast of "how dare you use that tone with me, who do you think you are" kinda post (I've gotten those before when I lose my mind in the question and answering process and don't use the right "tone" for folks). Thank you for being so receptive!
hugs.gif
I don't mean to sound bossy but I go off on a tangent and then I don't know how to change the tone without changing the tenor of the information given...you know? Bless yer pea pickin' heart!
frow.gif
you did very well sister!!! VERY well! Some of us are like a sponge when it comes to you, just soaking it up.

I've noticed that...everyone wants it yesterday and they don't want to study or learn. That's a shame because most of the work of natural husbandry is in the learning of it, as the implementing it is relatively easy.

Actually, it's much easier than learning about all the diseases and symptoms and medicines, going through the stress of trying to figure out what is wrong with your chickens and trying to find a solution, and then the feeling of stress of dealing with trying to juggle family, life and, on top of that, this difficult flock husbandry.

All natural husbandry is much like a dance with the seasons and the natural rhythms of the flock, with the wonderful feeling of no stress and good, healthy lives for your animals as the end product. It's incredibly easy to do and easy to sustain for years upon years. No book needed.
yep I am always having to stop myself being in THIS society of wanting it yesterday and say to myself, Rose Rome wasn't built in a day.
roll.png
I KNOW you are SO right on and I was JUST telling my daughter that I was listening to you because I didn't want to have to deal with an egg bound hen or even worse. I've GOT to get rid of some more of these cockerels so I can really work with the ones I want to keep.
Thank you again Bee!!!!

Back
Top Bottom