FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Speaking of food, I DID IT tonight!!!
celebrate.gif
Got just the right amount of food for them and there was NONE NADA left overs! After 3 nights finally no left overs! I just got done cutting some butternut squash to bake for us so they will have the guts and the seeds in the morning when they're turned out to free range again.

lol.png
Congrats!!! Now...when you get rid of your cockerels, you'll have to tweak it again!
gig.gif
It never really stops when you have an active, managed flock.

I was just eye ballin' my gals tonight and noticing that the oldsters are too fat and the youngsters at good condition from all the foraging they do..but I'd still like to put just a bit more fat on them before winter without the oldsters hogging the food. Difficult..hmmmm....

Going to do some culling soon. Rose, I think that will be the hardest bridge for you to cross with natural husbandry, as it is for many. So many want the rest of the solutions but that one is the key to it all, really, as it is for any natural husbandry that counts on the human to provide natural selection.

Most of the time, the best preventative measures are judicious culling of birds that are not laying well, are not thrifty on feed, or not maintaining good feathering or healthy appearance, etc. Without this valuable tool, there will always be a time when a bird will suffer...with it and you eliminate these birds before they get to the suffering part.

Put down what you are reading and erase that information from your mind.
big_smile.png
What each bird or flock needs cannot be found in a book because each bird and flock are different. Bantam breeds won't need what standard breeds need and layers won't need what meat birds need, free rangers won't need what confined birds need, etc.

That is a standard that someone dug up somewhere from some USDA recommended source, I'm thinking, because I simply cannot imagine anyone thinking that this standard holds true in a backyard flock. For one, you simply cannot insure that each bird is going to receive her quarter pound unless you are feeding each bird individually...if you're not, Suzy Orpington is going to eat half of Betty Australorp's feed and get tremendously fat, have laying issues because of it and die an untimely death.
tongue.png

They will always camp outside your door like refugees...even right after filling their guts with an enormous meal. I've never once seen one of my flocks sated in their hunger...a chicken's appetite is never really put to rest for long and they are opportunistic eaters, so they are constantly on the watch for opportunity. Always. There never really is "enough" in their world. Ever. Trust me on this.

This is what I have found about feeding FF...use the same scoop and feed the same amount that you fed dry. As the grains are swollen with scoby fluid, they are displacing more area than a dry kernel or feed fragment. Half again their normal size in most cases, depending on the grain. So, try just feeding the same number of scoops you fed as dry ration and it's likely you will get approximately the right amount. But, I never encourage anyone to stick to the same feed rations day and day out each day, like a robot that has no reasoning.

Look at your birds for general condition and laying performance. Look at their mobility and if they are quick on their feet~ or if they are running like linebackers instead? Do they waddle when they walk, pushing themselves forward like it's a chore to take that next step? They are too fat. If they run from side to side on their feet instead of in a quick scissor motion with their legs, they are too fat. If they only range a little bit around the coop and don't get very far from the food source of the coop...they aren't hungry enough to truly forage and hunt.

Are they looking a little slim, with their full crops fully noticeable on their chest when normally you can't see their crop that distinctly? Could be they need a little more. When their crops are not full, do you notice a big overlapping line of feathers on the chest? Could be they need more. Other than young birds that are not mature, when you pick up your birds do their breast bones feel abnormally sharp? Could be they need more food. When you pick them up and you can't feel their breast bone at all, they are either a CX ready for butcher, or your gals are too fat.

It's these little adjustments that I encourage people to do and not to hold some standard in a book as the starting point of what is accurate for a bird. If your birds are confined, they do not need continuous rations...they aren't doing anything, so why are people feeding them like a workhorse? They are couch potatoes getting very little exercise, so their needs for more nutrition isn't real.

If they are free ranged,it will be according to the amount of food they can forage, so let them forage all day and then feed them and you will get a realistic idea of what their nutritional needs are throughout the year. But adjustments must be made for optimal health...not just for optimal nutrition amounts.

Sorry...you probably didn't need to hear all that but that's been bugging me for some time now, these so-called amounts per bird. It's so standard when we are dealing with anything but the standard conditions on this forum...those amounts are for confined feeding operations for battery hens, where the companies have to have that formula to set it into their machines for dispensing.

Order as much feed as you think your flock will go through in a month or two and store it somewhere it will stay fresh and dry. That's my very best advice!
best advise in the world. bee. i am always watching my birds. after sometime with your flock . the birds will tell ya. with feed it is funny. some days i can put the evening feed it will sit til the morning. other days them birds will clean it up. so it an always " go low go slow, and stay somewhere in the middle ". it just is. i guess it all depends on the bug supply that day.. you are absolutely correct in say there is no insta fix. it is all adjusting here and there and paying attention to the birds.

lol.png
Congrats!!! Now...when you get rid of your cockerels, you'll have to tweak it again!
gig.gif
It never really stops when you have an active, managed flock.

I was just eye ballin' my gals tonight and noticing that the oldsters are too fat and the youngsters at good condition from all the foraging they do..but I'd still like to put just a bit more fat on them before winter without the oldsters hogging the food. Difficult..hmmmm....

Going to do some culling soon. Rose, I think that will be the hardest bridge for you to cross with natural husbandry, as it is for many. So many want the rest of the solutions but that one is the key to it all, really, as it is for any natural husbandry that counts on the human to provide natural selection.

Most of the time, the best preventative measures are judicious culling of birds that are not laying well, are not thrifty on feed, or not maintaining good feathering or healthy appearance, etc. Without this valuable tool, there will always be a time when a bird will suffer...with it and you eliminate these birds before they get to the suffering part.
oh yes I know this will be the hardest part for me. I just pray one day I WILL be able to do this! I cant very well throw the dirty work for lack of a better word, off on someone else to do. We were talking about this on our state Facebook page yesterday or the day before because someone has got to cull some and they're dreading it. I was telling him I don't judge people for doing this but I just can't do it yet but hope to be able to one day. I can't stand to see one suffer BUT don't want it to get to THAT point before I do something though. My stomach starts to churn just thinking about it. What's soooo weird is this, was raised by my grandpa which was a commercial fisherman and trapper so we were ALWAYS cleaning fish or some animal he trapped. BUT I never had to kill the animals they were already dead except for the fish and also I never had to feed anything we ate.
When I told you about my wanting to be a nurse when I was a teen, and found out I had to give shots and then said no I can't do that. Well a few years ago I had to face that fear....shoooooo I was as pale as a sheet to and the home health nurse said you ok? I said yeah I will be in a minute. She was laughing at me when she finally saw I was ok. Hubby had to have a knee replacement and I had to give him those blood thinner shots for 2 weeks. She told me I had to do it each day at the same time. Anyway she was there for the first one I gave him and after about the 4th one, I was like a pro at it. lol Still wasn't wild about doing it but it got a little easier anyway! lol

Oh and speaking of natural husbandry, I'd never even heard the phrase until you! :)
lol yep will have to constantly retweak the feeding especially with getting rid of those cockerels. One of them was pecking at the hen this evening that was feeding with him. UGH greedy thing. :(

Last edited:
th.gif
Thank you! I was waiting for the blast of "how dare you use that tone with me, who do you think you are" kinda post (I've gotten those before when I lose my mind in the question and answering process and don't use the right "tone" for folks). Thank you for being so receptive!
hugs.gif
I don't mean to sound bossy but I go off on a tangent and then I don't know how to change the tone without changing the tenor of the information given...you know? Bless yer pea pickin' heart!
frow.gif
bee is it not funny how people get offended by your tone of voice..
barnie.gif
!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits.

1. Anyone doing it?
  2. How long have you been doing it?
  3. Your methods?
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner?
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding?
1. yes i ferment my feed

2. been fermenting since may of 2012

3. i feed over 50 birds therefore i use a 40 gallon Rubbermaid trash can. feed is a continuous ferment method. feed is placed in container when feed is low water added as necessary .

4. feed used are mixed as wild game conditioner,, spent recycled grain from ethanol plant, black oil sunflower seed, alfalfa, and 7 scratch grain

5. my experience with this feeding method is all positive. the birds thrive, nice shiny feathers, over all health is very good, disease resistant, and this feeding method puts a pep in their step, eggs are heavy, shells hard, and yolks are very full and large., diminished poop and smell, and water intake lessons. when brooding chicks. the chicks feather faster, grow bigger and stronger. when raising meat type birds. the meaties health is fantastic , health issues are almost none. joints are strong, no flip issues. birds tend to grow a little slower allowing proper bone growth.

I gave my chicks their first sample of FF and they loved it! as I am new to the FF process, what is ACV? after reading some of the recipes for FF with brown sugar, vinegar, etc, I almost thought we were making mash in a still...lol

thanks

Bo

Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits. 

1. Anyone doing it? 
  3. Your methods?

I read about this method earlier, started using it in early July when my new chicks arrived in the mail.
I am fermenting a 20% chick starter from a local mill. It smells great, but looks rather powdery, not sure the birds would care to eat all that powder unless it was in mash form. I started with two cups of feed in a 2 gallon bucket, about a quarter cup of ACV, and water to cover. I scoop out enough to feed the chicks daily, adding more starter and water daily. I have also used unflavored Greek yogurt as the starter, with equal success. I seemed to have a lot of trouble keeping my batch going well, until I switched from using "city" water to untreated well water. On days when I thought the whole mess smelled like rancid vomit, I dumped the entire bucket out and started over. On those days, I moistened the chick starter with raw cows milk, and they got mash for a day instead of FF while a new batch fermented in its bucket under my laundry sink.

So far, I am quite happy with results. I had 32 chicks on arrival, lost one the day after delivery to non-obvious cause, and one looked puny at 3weeks of age, was quickly culled. None of these chicks have had pasty bums or any other diarrheal illness. Pen odor is also less than with previous batches of chicks fed conventional dry starter crumbles.

Last edited:
I gave my chicks their first sample of FF and they loved it! as I am new to the FF process, what is ACV? after reading some of the recipes for FF with brown sugar, vinegar, etc, I almost thought we were making mash in a still...lol

thanks

Bo

Where...oh, where...did you see a recipe with brown sugar in it?? Please tell me!! I've never heard of such a thing!
th.gif
I feel like when you are little and having a game at school where they have you sit in a circle and whisper something in someone's ear and they have to pass it to the next kid, and then they pass it along in a whisper, and so on until it comes back to the first kid and you find out that what they originally whispered doesn't even come close to what returned to them after it passed through the circle of kids.

Not that I think I originated the FF thing, but I've never even heard of using sugar to ferment grains unless you are making bread!
I read about this method earlier, started using it in early July when my new chicks arrived in the mail.
I am fermenting a 20% chick starter from a local mill. It smells great, but looks rather powdery, not sure the birds would care to eat all that powder unless it was in mash form. I started with two cups of feed in a 2 gallon bucket, about a quarter cup of ACV, and water to cover. I scoop out enough to feed the chicks daily, adding more starter and water daily. I have also used unflavored Greek yogurt as the starter, with equal success. I seemed to have a lot of trouble keeping my batch going well, until I switched from using "city" water to untreated well water. On days when I thought the whole mess smelled like rancid vomit, I dumped the entire bucket out and started over. On those days, I moistened the chick starter with raw cows milk, and they got mash for a day instead of FF while a new batch fermented in its bucket under my laundry sink.

So far, I am quite happy with results. I had 32 chicks on arrival, lost one the day after delivery to non-obvious cause, and one looked puny at 3weeks of age, was quickly culled. None of these chicks have had pasty bums or any other diarrheal illness. Pen odor is also less than with previous batches of chicks fed conventional dry starter crumbles.

Sorry to tell you this....when the FF smells like rancid vomit is when it is most filled with the beneficial microbes that is one of the goals of feeding the FF. When next it smells like that, feed it out and just keep a rolling mix with the same stuff inoculating the next batch. After the first day of mixing fresh feed in mine, it only smells slightly of vomit...all the days after that it smells fully of vomit...because I'm using the original SCOBY that I started last year. If I take the buckets apart and take a good whiff of the fluid there it most definitely smells like vomit.

You've been throwing out the best stuff and feeding your chickens only slightly fermented feeds..which is fine, but it won't hurt to let it ferment further and feed that as well.
thumbsup.gif

1. Anyone doing it?
  3. Your methods?

1. Yes

2. about 4 months, since my birds were 5 weeks old. I recently switched from fermented feed plus free choice pellets to just fermented feed.

3. A single 2 gallon bucket, continuous feed. I started this with starter feed & water only, then switched to layer pellets & Boss.

4. Organic Layer pellets & BOSS. I put in some crushed garlic & Cayenne pepper at feeding time.

5. It's no more trouble than feeding anything else & if its' better for the chicks.....why not? Chicks seem to like it, they always finished the fermented feed, even when they had free choice pellets. The Chicks, at 22 weeks appear to be very healthy, they're quite sassy & get prettier everyday. Now if they would just start laying.

Back
Top Bottom