FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Ok update...the girls are showing improvement today! They even ate some ff! Woohoo...they were all waiting at the run door to be let out....so far i leave the coop door open so they can go into run when they want.
They were alot more energetic doing chicken galloping, kinda flying...my 2 Orps sometimes do that whole rooster fluff up thing..I am still not sure at 6months old if the are both pullets.
The one RIR and ORP that were showing minor symptoms like sleepyness lethargy I havent seen at all this morning. Yeah!
I went ahead and dusted 2 of them with ashes and now they are all hiding in the bushes from me. I think I will have to wait till I get them in their run to do the others.
I am thrilled I think they are on the road to getting healthy.
What wonderful news!!!! And the more good food and water they get, the healthier they will be!!!

Could you find a plant pot/something chicken sized and about 3-4" deep and fill it with ashes so they can bathe themselves in it? I did that with ours and they loved it!!!

Last edited:
Could you find a plant pot/something about 3-4" deep and fill it with ashes so they can bathe themselves in it? I did that with ours and they loved it!!!

My chickens couldn't figure this concept out. I had a small galvanized steel tub filled with fresh wood ashes, put it by their pen, and they never touched it. I had to dump the ashes on the ground before they would show any interest... And it seems that they still prefer just regular dirt to the wood ashes. Crazy weird birds.

My chickens couldn't figure this concept out. I had a small galvanized steel tub filled with fresh wood ashes, put it by their pen, and they never touched it. I had to dump the ashes on the ground before they would show any interest... And it seems that they still prefer just regular dirt to the wood ashes. Crazy weird birds.
Mine had the choice of grass or the wood ashes, so maybe that's why they used it ?!? Or maybe they just were deperate !

Well I put a big tote that i cut out one side so they could walk right in but the haven't used it yet...think I will just dump it somewhere. I plan on using sand in there run which right now is dirt and grass.

They are finally coming out of hiding from there "dust ordeal" but they aren't as trusting as they were before. Time to re bond again.

Ok update...the girls are showing improvement today! They even ate some ff! Woohoo...they were all waiting at the run door to be let out....so far i leave the coop door open so they can go into run when they want.
They were alot more energetic doing chicken galloping, kinda flying...my 2 Orps sometimes do that whole rooster fluff up thing..I am still not sure at 6months old if the are both pullets.
The one RIR and ORP that were showing minor symptoms like sleepyness lethargy I havent seen at all this morning. Yeah!
I went ahead and dusted 2 of them with ashes and now they are all hiding in the bushes from me. I think I will have to wait till I get them in their run to do the others.
I am thrilled I think they are on the road to getting healthy.

SUCH good news!! Can't wait to see the final outcome of your flock...all shiny, healthy and producing one day soon!
hugs.gif

What wonderful news!!!! And the more good food and water they get, the healthier they will be!!!

Could you find a plant pot/something chicken sized and about 3-4" deep and fill it with ashes so they can bathe themselves in it? I did that with ours and they loved it!!!

When you say ashes, you're just referring to plain old wood ashes from a stove ?

They even peck bits of charred wood out and eat them and it's a good dewormer. I used to give charred wood to my sheep and they'd gnaw it right off the log. My granny used to do the same for her pigs.

Back
Top Bottom