FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
It's just making my day that the chickens are perking up! Please keep us posted! Do you have photos? It would be nice to have before/after photos.

Bee - I never got far enough on your 'Road Less Travelled" thread to find out how many of your rescued flock survived. What is their current status?

I had culled three of them, I believe. One died of unknown causes...just fine one day, dead on the floor the next. That one wasn't of the my original flock and only one of the culls were from my original birds.

Here's the rest of them.....fit as a fiddle and currently foraging for most of their feeds and only getting 1.5 c. of feed each day for 14 birds. You can't see Barbara Ann in this pic but she's off to the left of the pic. This was late winter/early spring, I believe.

Oops!!! Left out Ginny! That's Barbara Ann behind her.... All these pics are not recent ones but they are pretty much healthy and thriving even yet.

Last edited:
Bee - what beautiful birds!!! I hope to have a flock one day that looks as good as they do! All different colours! And then maybe I could even have them free range if I can convince my pup not to chase them! Right now he's good if I keep an eye on him. He needs a little training, though.

If those photos are from late winter, I wonder what summer looks like!!!

Our late winter has about 3' of snow (6' in places) and lasts from October to April (snow in May is not unheard of!). I'm trying to figure out what the best strategy for building a coop that will keep them warm, yet have good ventilation. Then I can build a real coop and start a permanent flock next year.

I need to do a bunch of research to see what breeds do best in those long winters, and then I'll start from there. Right now I have a bunch of ideas (Chantecler and Wyandotes are what I can think of off hand, though our ISA browns are so friendly and regular in the egg department). Our two ladies are only 11 months old and I would love to keep them, but I suspect they will be Freezer camp in another month or so when our neighbour (and back-up chicken keeper) leaves for the winter. Once we can be at our land full time, we will have a totally day-time free range flock (and maybe even a cow too!!!). I'm jittery just thinking about it!

I think you are on the right track with the Chanteclers but I've never seen anything good come from a Wyandotte. Buckeyes are a great choice, as are the White Rocks...their feathers are so deep and soft they have excellent insulation, plus the meaty, heavy carcasses and excellent lay. Those are WRs in the pic...the big, white gals on the right.

The BAs winter well and lay well in the winter months, as do the NHs.

All those breeds will provide excellent lay, longevity of lay, hardiness, colorful birds, and cold and heat tolerance. Good free rangers as well.

I just can't wait to see how it all goes on your place, Lord willing that I am still here when you get it going. Should make for a great pic album and an even greater experience to tell.

Too bad your old sweet dog isn't in good enough shape to school your younger dog...I think that did a lot for my Jake to have Lucy to show him how to treat livestock and animals of all kind, though she never did convince him all other dogs are not friends.
roll.png
Jake's just a big, ol' friendly goober...

Sounds like James and Pepper would be great playmates! Our old girl Indy is a little permission the past two days, I think she feels good after a big bath and wash that took away all her winter underfur finally. She feels pretty.

Perhaps another year of maturity and Pepper will settle. He has already improved drastically since we got him in late April. A little more training wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the ideas on breeds. Now, what do all those breed abbreviations mean? And where can I look them up?

Sounds like James and Pepper would be great playmates! Our old girl Indy is a little permission the past two days, I think she feels good after a big bath and wash that took away all her winter underfur finally. She feels pretty.

Perhaps another year of maturity and Pepper will settle. He has already improved drastically since we got him in late April. A little more training wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the ideas on breeds. Now, what do all those breed abbreviations mean? And where can I look them up?

Oops! Sorry...Black Australorps, New Hampshires (not New Hampshire Reds...just the state
big_smile.png
and only the state), White Rocks, Buckeyes.

BA....Black Australorp..this first one is my bird, Fanny.

This is a BA that I culled from the GB...her vent is now famous.
gig.gif

White Rocks...the King of Poultry....

Those above are all breeder stock of heritage lines..and those below are my old gals from hatchery junk genetics, but still wonderful birds all around.

New Hampshires..... The first pic is my old Little Red Hen, 6 yrs old and still my best layer, season in and season out. Hatchery stock.

Aaaaaaannnnnnd...the GOOD genetics....heritage breeding stock...

And Buckeyes...a breed I've never had but only wish I could......

Oops! Sorry...Black Australorps, New Hampshires (not New Hampshire Reds...just the state
big_smile.png
and only the state), White Rocks, Buckeyes.

BA....Black Australorp..this first one is my bird, Fanny.

This is a BA that I culled from the GB...her vent is now famous.
gig.gif

White Rocks...the King of Poultry....

Those above are all breeder stock of heritage lines..and those below are my old gals from hatchery junk genetics, but still wonderful birds all around.

New Hampshires..... The first pic is my old Little Red Hen, 6 yrs old and still my best layer, season in and season out. Hatchery stock.

Aaaaaaannnnnnd...the GOOD genetics....heritage breeding stock...

And Buckeyes...a breed I've never had but only wish I could......

lol @ you with that vent comment.
yuckyuck.gif

I had culled three of them, I believe. One died of unknown causes...just fine one day, dead on the floor the next. That one wasn't of the my original flock and only one of the culls were from my original birds.

Here's the rest of them.....fit as a fiddle and currently foraging for most of their feeds and only getting 1.5 c. of feed each day for 14 birds. You can't see Barbara Ann in this pic but she's off to the left of the pic. This was late winter/early spring, I believe.

Oops!!! Left out Ginny! That's Barbara Ann behind her.... All these pics are not recent ones but they are pretty much healthy and thriving even yet.

I just LOVE them all ganged up on the swing!
gig.gif
Reminds me of a bunch of ole men or women ganging up and just sitting chatting away. soooo cute!

Did I mention that we have the two ISA browns still, and they travelled to the city with us this past week? I've been moveing their very small cage daily (12'), and just feeling so guilty that we are going to take them back to their larger run this coming weekend. This morning I decided to take a chance and let them out for a while. I've decided that as long as the dogs aren't out, and that someone is in the yard with them, that they are good to free range in the yard. They are so social that they want to be close to us always. And when it was time to put them back in, there was no issue - they went in themselves! I'm going to miss these ladies!

I also discovered that if I hand pick the slugs, they devour them. just not so good at the searching!

Considering ISA browns are easy to get around here, they lay prolificly, and are friendly, I may keep a couple in my flock when I can have a permanent one!

Here are my White layers. These are the result of some saved white battery hens and my Orpington Rooster about 5 generations ago. They look a lot like white rocks, but as the hens mature the extra fluff from the Orpington side will show more.

They are POL now and so far I've gotten one egg.

Back
Top Bottom