FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Here's a squudge for you too!!!
hugs.gif
For the record, a squudge is between a squeeze and a hug, but better than a squidge.
big_smile.png
I love you too, my friend!!!

Thanks, Bee ! I'll take a squudge anytime ! And right back at ya !
hugs.gif

I use Countryside also......I have had to learn only to do what they will eat in a day......for some reason Countryside has a lot of fish meal in it......does it smell like pickled eggs? If it does, it's okay....promise....feed them, they love it.....

I knew somebody on here used it!

hugs.gif
I love you right back!!! Wish you were here! Cool nights and beautiful days...so pretty it makes your heart ache!
Hope won't be too much longer.....getting things sorted here......my better half wants to come meet you too.....I knew that from the very start......my daughter and son-in-law will take care of stuff here.....I'm too excited for words......
wee.gif

I read somewhere that you can ferment just about anything you would eat unfermented. So is it bad to add molasses to the feed? I started fermenting a year+ ago when I first saw the thread about it and started using layer. grower,ect. I have since changed over to fermenting whole grains, oats, corn, wheat,,and as I have geese,ducks,peas,and a turkey as well as chickens I add alfalfa (those tiny "bales" that come in a bag. I add brewers yeast just before I feed (I was fermenting it until I read somewhere not to as it ferments into alcohol ),for the ducks & geese I add unmedicated rabbit pellets, for the peas I add cat food and/or calf manna, and whatever goodies I have for everybody. I only feed once a day so for most of my birds I leave dry feed available in case they run out and get hungry. My peas and guineas won't touch the dry anymore. I have enjoyed this thread (except the snark) as well as the meat bird thread where I first found out about fermented feed. Keep up the good work.

What would the purpose be for adding molasses? It's sugar, basically. Why would you want to add this to the feed? I don't think anyone is saying that it is BAD to add it - but why would you want to? It isn't necessary for the fermentation, so truly there is no reason to add it... I'm thinkin' the birds don't have a sweet tooth that needs satisfying. (Oh to be so lucky!)

Hope won't be too much longer.....getting things sorted here......my better half wants to come meet you too.....I knew that from the very start......my daughter and son-in-law will take care of stuff here.....I'm too excited for words......
wee.gif

No way!!! Stephen too!!! Please let me know when you plan to come...we'll be gone the 2nd weekend of Oct. but the rest is all yours!! I'm hoping the apples come into ripe just when you plan to visit so we can make apple butter..you will simply LOVE that process. Oh, what fun!!!!
ya.gif

I read somewhere that you can ferment just about anything you would eat unfermented. So is it bad to add molasses to the feed? I started fermenting a year+ ago when I first saw the thread about it and started using layer. grower,ect. I have since changed over to fermenting whole grains, oats, corn, wheat,,and as I have geese,ducks,peas,and a turkey as well as chickens I add alfalfa (those tiny "bales" that come in a bag. I add brewers yeast just before I feed (I was fermenting it until I read somewhere not to as it ferments into alcohol ),for the ducks & geese I add unmedicated rabbit pellets, for the peas I add cat food and/or calf manna, and whatever goodies I have for everybody. I only feed once a day so for most of my birds I leave dry feed available in case they run out and get hungry. My peas and guineas won't touch the dry anymore. I have enjoyed this thread (except the snark) as well as the meat bird thread where I first found out about fermented feed. Keep up the good work.

Sure you can ferment anything....but should you? is the question. It's the difference between feeding your kids regular cereal or sugar coated cereal and which do you think will be healthier, how many calories you are trying to pack on them when they already have a sufficient intake of calories from the feed. What you are currently adding to your feeds~calf manna, cat food, brewers yeast is enough protein to eventually kill your flock if you continue in that path. Calf manna is super nutrition in and of itself and is usually to be used for brief periods and for a definite purpose but not for long term feeding..and it cost a lot compared to regular layer rations. The brewers yeast is the same~it's simply not necessary and it cost a bundle.

Here's something that going to sound like snark to you, but it's the only way I can present the truth..whole and unvarnished. It seems like you are taking the most high powered nutrients you can possibly get your hands on and dumping them in a bucket and thinking it is well balanced nutrition and nothing could be further from the truth. Your chickens can only metabolize so much protein before it starts to damage their organs, which is why formulated feeds have certain protein percentages for different things. When it comes to protein for chickens, more is not always better and can often kill in the worst of ways.

As for the molasses, it's just empty carbs with no true nutritive value other than to pack on weight...and for layers, more weight is not better for their lives nor for their laying performance.

The cat food is designed for cats, as is the rabbit food, with sodium levels appropriate for those animals but may not be appropriate for chickens.

No need to reinvent the wheel on chicken nutrition when feeds with the normal amount of nutrition are out there in bags, just as cheaply found as rabbit food and cat food and much cheaper than both if you go by cost per pound. I know it's really "in" right now to feel like one is designing their own feeds and that those feeds are way better than what people have been feeding for years upon years, but it's just costly, fussy and doesn't yield good nutrition for your flock. At all. Now, you can take that for snark if you wish, but I've found that very often the truth is thought of as snarky by those who don't wish to hear it.
What would the purpose be for adding molasses? It's sugar, basically. Why would you want to add this to the feed? I don't think anyone is saying that it is BAD to add it - but why would you want to? It isn't necessary for the fermentation, so truly there is no reason to add it... I'm thinkin' the birds don't have a sweet tooth that needs satisfying. (Oh to be so lucky!)

Exactly...just carbs to pack on fat, has some vitamin and minerals available but you have to take all the carbs along with it, so it's not a good source for these.

By my definition that isn't snark, it was information needed. Thanks
I asked about the molasses because I've seen people that are fermenting sweet feed and was thinking about it for horses,figuring if it was bad,i.e. toxic for poultry it probably would be for horses as well. Molasses is used to improve palatability and I believe it is a source of iron as well.
I am adding the brewers yeast ($14/50# at elevator) and the calf manna (somewhat more expensive), both for the extra niacin and other vitamins needed by the waterfowl and to try to get the usable protein up to the 16-18% needed. In the winter and for my cooped birds the rabbit pellets and alfalfa is used to boost protein and give greens at a time when they aren't available to them naturally. Oats,corn, and wheat are all around 10% protein + or-. The cat food also boosts the protein but basically is a treat.
"No need to reinvent the wheel on chicken nutrition when feeds with the normal amount of nutrition are out there in bags, just as cheaply found as rabbit food and cat food and much cheaper than both if you go by cost per pound." I realize its cheap of me but I am having heartburn paying more for a 50# bag of layer than I would pay separately for 100# of the most expensive ingredient. Soybean meal is usually used in feed to up the protein, but my poultry don't like it.
It seems like you are taking the most high powered nutrients you can possibly get your hands on and dumping them in a bucket and thinking it is well balanced nutrition and nothing could be further from the truth. Thank you,, this is something I have to constantly fight against and often relapse if not reminded. "More is better" is truly not so.
I consider it snark when making fun of someone without explaining the problem with what they are saying.

Back
Top Bottom