FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

What does refresh the bucket mean?  I started over with no starter in glass--the feed smelled nice, like sourdough a bit.  No mold--I probably did not need to start over but the white film covered every inch of the top and did not seem right to me--threw it all away.  i stir, I replace.  i dont know what happened.

That stuff is the ferment culture. How to determine if your batch is all "good stuff" or contains some "undesirable" elements is unclear to me. What your cture contains is determined in part by what the stuff you're fermenting "came with" in terms of spores & stuff, and also what is in your air.

I PRESUME I'm growing "good stuff" as my ferment culture ... but have been reading up a bit about fermenting cereal grains for increased nutrition and maximum "safety" (least amount of "undesirables" in the culture I cultivate).

Inasmuch as fermenting cereal grains for increased nutrition is commonplace if not necessary in certain parts of the world, and inasmuch as low-tech solutions are the most practical, I've been reading about comparisons between "natural" fermentation (no starter used) and cultured fermentation (where specific starters are used) ... It seems better results (safer and more nutritious) are possible when starters are used.

Mostly I'm reading out of curiosity, but did find a cool study about the increases of protein in cereal grains after various ferments.

What does refresh the bucket mean? I started over with no starter in glass--the feed smelled nice, like sourdough a bit. No mold--I probably did not need to start over but the white film covered every inch of the top and did not seem right to me--threw it all away. i stir, I replace. i dont know what happened.
That is what I meant by refresh the bucket, add new feed and new water. I only add mine in every 4 days or so, whenever my bucket gets low. I don't refresh it at every feeding.

Sarahsunshine asked if I'd share that study I referred to in a former post. Here is a link to it ... http://maxwellsci.com/print/ajfst/v4-1-8.pdf

It was a four-way study of fermented cereal gruel ... a common baby food in parts of Africa ... to determine which fermentation technique produced the biggest boost in nutrients in the feed with the least chance for cultivating undesirables.

They studied four types of fermented gruel:
1) Natural Fermentation (no starter used)
2) Starter of L. Pentosus
3) Starter of L. Acidophilus
4) Mixture of both starters in the same batch.

The measured various things at day 1, day 2 and day 3.

The best results were from #4 ... where both starters were used. One chart shows what looks like a 14% increase in protein on on Day 3 from the "mixed" batch.

Also ... "All these fermented samples exhibited some degree of inhibition on all the test bacterial cultures. The mixed culture fermented samples had higher values than the single culture fermented samples for all parameters tested indicating higher efficacy." That's from the abstract ... details available in the study.

There are various other discussions of fermented cereal grains published through the United Nations. This is important stuff for a lot of the world.

Sarahsunshine asked if I'd share that study I referred to in a former post. Here is a link to it ... http://maxwellsci.com/print/ajfst/v4-1-8.pdf

It was a four-way study of fermented cereal gruel ... a common baby food in parts of Africa ... to determine which fermentation technique produced the biggest boost in nutrients in the feed with the least chance for cultivating undesirables.

The best results were from #4 ... where both starters were used. One chart shows what looks like a 14% increase in protein on on Day 3 from the "mixed" batch.

Also ... "All these fermented samples exhibited some degree of inhibition on all the test bacterial cultures. The mixed culture fermented samples had higher values than the single culture fermented samples for all parameters tested indicating higher efficacy." That's from the abstract ... details available in the study.

There are various other discussions of fermented cereal grains published through the United Nations. This is important stuff for a lot of the world.
Cool Beans!!!!

Now Acidophilis is yogurt. What is Pentosus? (off to check google)

Last edited:
Acidophilis is "acid-loving milk-bacterium" and L. Pentosus is just a specific strain of Lactobacillus ...

Having healthy cultures of these types of things around decreases harmful stuff from taking over.
OK, let me rephrase...

If I wanted to inoculate with L. acidophilis, I could use yogurt,

If I want to inoculate with L. pentosus, what would I use?

OK, let me rephrase...

If I wanted to inoculate with L. acidophilis, I could use yogurt,

If I want to inoculate with L. pentosus, what would I use?

Now we're getting back to the question I asked a few posts ago ...
thumbsup.gif

Sarahsunshine asked if I'd share that study I referred to in a former post. Here is a link to it ... http://maxwellsci.com/print/ajfst/v4-1-8.pdf

1) Natural Fermentation (no starter used)

This is for starting fermentation? What about established, back-slopping established batches? And how does cereal grain translate to chicken feed?

Sarahsunshine asked if I'd share that study I referred to in a former post. Here is a link to it ... http://maxwellsci.com/print/ajfst/v4-1-8.pdf

1) Natural Fermentation (no starter used)

Did I miss what the composition of the greul is? In the US, most packaged baby cereal is just rice. (And if they are breastfeeding, how critical is the fermentation? What would happen if they used a breastmilk based ferment? ) Heh.

Ok, not sure what L. Pentosus is . EM-1 is L. Acidophilus. How about kombucha or kefir. Aren't they both Acidophilus? Just thinking.
gig.gif

Edited: Sorry, I see everybody else is asking the same thing. Great minds yada yada

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom