FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

May I just gush for a moment?

My feed is fermenting nicely and it is all ready for my girls to come home tomorrow... These will be my first chickens! I can hardly contain myself I'm so excited!

Quote: I keep Ivermectin on hand because i can treat all my animals if I want to.... But since my horse and goats arent exposed to others I dont worry about it.... When i boarded my mare I did a twice a year rotational worming but I felt she really didnt need it. It was required at the boarding facility.

I spoke to a friend in Michigan who has a grand champion Western Pleasure show horse.... and she has now gone the rout of doing a fecal before worming so she knows what to worm for. So far its been two years since she last wormed her horse.

I like Ivermectin for other reasons.... Its good for ticks and mites... When I moved my mare home she was about two hundred pounds underweight.... Same boarding facility that required twice yearly wormings. It was one of those things that snuck up on me till I realized she was a bit hollow in places she shouldnt be and it wasnt from lack of water. I packed her up and took her back home and started free feeding Bermuda..... But when she was thinner her immune system was down and she started showing something that looked like MANGE... on her face.... I double dosed her with Ivermectin then double dosed her ten days later.... By then she was picking weight back up and her face was beginning to look normal.

If you observe horses in the wild though they are browsers though they live off grasses they also eat various herbs. A study was done on Mustangs to determine their parasite load..... Surprisingly very low. They would come across one that had a hight load of womrs. Follow him and check him in a month and the worm count would be very low. HERBAGE...

I think that is true for Chickens and goats that are allowed to forage for part of their diet. YEp some of those bugs chickens eat might carry a parasite or two but those same chickens may be tasing some sort of herbage that kills off or stops the development.... This is my opinion I have no research for it.... Just a gut feel..... LOL No pun intended
gig.gif

Also Worms dont always infect the gut.... the go into the muscle tissues.... the eggs though are layed in the gut so they can be transferred to the next vector....

deb

Round worms can migrate through the entire body even into the eyes and brain causing irreparable damage. Once worms leave the gut wormers are useless and treatment is difficult. I urge you to do your own research into symptoms and treatment. Untreated, worms cause a great loss in overall health and even death. Not everyone or every animal has worms.

Here's a good thread on how effective natural treatments are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ts-is-not-coryza-or-crd-parasites-are-rampant

Round worms can migrate through the entire body even into the eyes and brain causing irreparable damage. Once worms leave the gut wormers are useless and treatment is difficult. I urge you to do your own research into symptoms and treatment. Untreated, worms cause a great loss in overall health and even death. Not everyone or every animal has worms.

Here's a good thread on how effective natural treatments are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ts-is-not-coryza-or-crd-parasites-are-rampant

This is a perfect example of someone who is trying to use "natural" remedies like they do chemical ones...like some magical cure all that if you throw enough of it down their bodies it will make up for lack of proper management. She has been doing this daily..who in the world would think that something given daily and in a scattershot method would just take care of any and all parasites? The same people who do not want to do any sort of problem solving, thinking or planning for long term solutions...they think they can use natural remedies like a magic bullet. I've even read of folks using ACV in the water as the totality of their worm prevention program.
Quote:

Natural remedies work well alongside other natural management of livestock...not instead of them. It's sort of like that old saying, "Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die." Natural remedies only are as good as the birds you are using them on...they will not work on birds that have poor immune systems, heavy and existing worm loads, etc.

This is why I always emphasize the very necessary and effective yearly culling of the flock...keep the best, kill the rest. The "rest" are those that are more likely to be your disease and parasite vectors for the flock. But..no one on these forums want to kill their pets, so they will keep insisting on trying to treat, shore up and give a crutch to animals that compromise the health of their whole flock by their mere existence.

All natural flock management is not just natural remedies that one can feed to the chickens...it encompasses so much more than that. It's about restoring balance to the soils if they have become imbalanced, keeping balance in the soils and coops, not overstocking your land or buildings and pens, weeding out the weaker flock members, breeding for stronger genetics, trying to obtain breeds that are naturally hardy and self-sufficient instead of toy or ornamental breeds that are not meant for a long and natural life due to poor breeding or due to keeping them in the wrong climates, exercise out in the sun and rain and snow, open air cooping, natural diets of bugs, grasses and legumes that are their normal diet, keeping them slender and fit instead of overfed and burdened with a load of fat....and so many more things like a balanced social structure, a low stress existence, an occupied mind and body.

Everything I have said and promote has been studied and well documented and has basis in fact if you would just avail yourself of the information and read up, study on it all. I've been studying on this subject since the 70s and have applied it to our animals with consistent and good results.

This is a take or leave it kind of notion....you can argue until you are blue in the face on this but it just doesn't change the facts. You can either use it or not, your choice. That's how this all works....don't like what I have to say, just don't read it.
hu.gif
There are other threads about using chemicals for livestock management where you can maybe feel more comfortable about the advice given.

Wow....now we are back to killing instead of treating. Losing all the respect I had for you and maybe I should research fermented feed beyond your thread...I trusted you and you are just way out there. This person did all the things you say to do and it's still not good enough....she should have killed the....Nope, I give up, this is the BackYard Chicken site and most of us do not want to kill the few birds we have to create a stronger (seriously?) bird. You actually think that some birds are more resistant to worms?

Wow....now we are back to killing instead of treating. Losing all the respect I had for you and maybe I should research fermented feed beyond your thread...I trusted you and you are just way out there. This person did all the things you say to do and it's still not good enough....she should have killed the....Nope, I give up, this is the BackYard Chicken site and most of us do not want to kill the few birds we have to create a stronger (seriously?) bird. You actually think that some birds are more resistant to worms?

Yep...it's been proven. Try reading beyond BYC...it may help you. And, yes...I'm WAY out there.
big_smile.png
Beyond BYC and into the serious flock keeping that yields success down through the years.

Last edited:
My chickens won't eat pumpkin! Cooked or otherwise. I even baked one of the leftover halloween pumpkins, ground the seeds and added yogurt to the ground seeds, put it in the pumpkin as a dish and they wouldn't touch it. They love yogurt! If they had the right shaped tongues they would lick the bowl when it's just yogurt.

Could it be because I'm using a hybrid halloween pumpkin instead of "real" pumpkins? I bought a "real" cooking pumpkin at the Amish store - it smelled like heaven - if I didn't know how it would taste raw, I'd have eaten it right there. Smelled like the most ripe cantaloupe you've ever eaten. Back in the day when you could get ripe cantaloupe at the store.

Can you put beer in the feed? Does that qualify as a fermenter? Sometimes my husband makes beer and the process is similar to fermented feed
lol.png

Wondered if you could do a quick fix substitute. As I type this I realize "quick fix" doesn't fit with what I want the end result to be, but if it's already fermented??

My girls favorite kitchen scrap is leftover sweet potato, butternut squash skins and flesh! We eat lots of winter squash and always feed the scraps the next morning. By that night, not a speck left!

I don't know about beer. Everything I have read says alcohol is a complete no-no for chickens. I personally wouldn't add beer to the ff process. Once your bucket is fermented you really have no need to add any more to it. Just continue to refresh your bucket when it gets low and the feed left behind will inoculate your new batch.

Sorry I got behind on the post here, had some health issues. Thanks for the encouragement but oh Bee, you have opened a BIG can of worms now. I love my chickens and I love to take pictures so just remember you asked for this.

My baby Speckled Sussexs and Partridge Rocks came today. The colder weather wasn't so kind....one dead upon arrival.....one died a few hours later..... and two more iffy ones. I quickly took a group picture before leaving for work I'll post it. I am so anxious to start them out on FF and note the difference in their growth and compare it to the other chicks I have raise in the past.

These are two new breeds for me. I have Wyandottes and Mille Fleur Bantam Cochins, so this is a whole new adventure for me.

One more thought and then I will hush....... My husband and I had sat down to breakfast a couple mornings ago and he looked at his eggs and said "something is different about these eggs" the yolks were firmer and larger and he said they had a better taste. It has to be the FF because that is the only thing I'm doing different. So one more time, Thank you for sharing.....

I was gone for 3 days and was 77 posts behind as well! Luvblues I hope your health issues are resolved and that you are on the road to recovery. I am not even going to talk about worms or parasites... I live in the parched desert, and my very small flock of 4 is healthy and thriving. I don't think they have them or can get them and I have no plans to ever treat for them. Just my personal opinion. After reading these last few posts, I just may add some garlic and ginger to their feed occasionally.

As for religion, I have different beliefs from many of you but that does not deter me from being a part of this thread. I enjoy the conversations, banter, and the interaction and I respect anyone's belief in their devotion to their chosen deity. Don't think badly of me if I don't share your views and I will never do the same likewise.

Back to our chickens...what an adorable pic!!! How many did you order? For that volume I would say that 2 dead within a day is not too bad of odds. How are your iffy ones? Did they make it? I am counting 21 in the brooder box!

My girls were just starting to lay the week before I had to leave town. I left early Wednesday morning and just got back this afternoon. The 2 weeks leading up to our trip we were not getting an egg a day yet. Maybe every other day, pretty sure we had one consistent layer and a new one just started with not seeing the 2nd egg from her yet. My chicken babysitters got two eggs Wednesday night then had an egg Thursday morning!! I have never had a morning egg yet! They got another 2 eggs Thursday evening with one from what they think may be another new hen laying - so now I probably have 3 of 4 laying - yippee! They got another one Friday morning and we got 2 eggs this afternoon. I hope I am well on my way to 3-4 eggs a day! Could be that they fed WAY more than I normally would have over the couple days but oh well. I am happy I have reliable chicken watchers!

Sorry I got behind on the post here, had some health issues. Thanks for the encouragement but oh Bee, you have opened a BIG can of worms now. I love my chickens and I love to take pictures so just remember you asked for this.

My baby Speckled Sussexs and Partridge Rocks came today. The colder weather wasn't so kind....one dead upon arrival.....one died a few hours later..... and two more iffy ones. I quickly took a group picture before leaving for work I'll post it. I am so anxious to start them out on FF and note the difference in their growth and compare it to the other chicks I have raise in the past.

These are two new breeds for me. I have Wyandottes and Mille Fleur Bantam Cochins, so this is a whole new adventure for me.

One more thought and then I will hush....... My husband and I had sat down to breakfast a couple mornings ago and he looked at his eggs and said "something is different about these eggs" the yolks were firmer and larger and he said they had a better taste. It has to be the FF because that is the only thing I'm doing different. So one more time, Thank you for sharing.....

They are adorable! Love brown chicks...for some reason they look so much more natural to me. Your husband has a very discerning palate....they DO have a different taste on the FF. Less sulfur, more sweet and nutty. The yolks are bigger and more firm and the whites are much more white and firm.

Keep us posted on these babies! We lurv babies!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom