FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

OK, I bought my chick starter feed (50 lbs!) and apple cider vinegar with the mother. I got a 1 gallon size pitcher to ferment it in. So I just add feed, water to cover plus a more and a bit of ACV, stir daily and wait. Sounds almost too easy to work. lol! I went with the pitcher because I can have it covered, but still open because the lid is the kind that strains ice and stuff. I have cats that will sample it otherwise. grrr!

After the initial start of the batch I know I just need to feed it and it keeps going, and going and going. :) If I don't end up using this next week how often should I feed it? Once the chicks arrive I know this is a non-issue.

Also, how many containers should I have going of this? I'm guessing more than one...

I have a couple more questions.
1. When feeding FF do you need grit still? I picked up some chick grit but I am thinking they don't need it.
2. Does anyone add the ACV to the water occasionally? I've read it is good for something.....don't remember what just now.

Last edited:
OK, I bought my chick starter feed (50 lbs!) and apple cider vinegar with the mother. I got a 1 gallon size pitcher to ferment it in. So I just add feed, water to cover plus a more and a bit of ACV, stir daily and wait. Sounds almost too easy to work. lol! I went with the pitcher because I can have it covered, but still open because the lid is the kind that strains ice and stuff. I have cats that will sample it otherwise. grrr!

After the initial start of the batch I know I just need to feed it and it keeps going, and going and going. :) If I don't end up using this next week how often should I feed it? Once the chicks arrive I know this is a non-issue.

I have a couple more questions.
1. When feeding FF do you need grit still? I picked up some chick grit but I am thinking they don't need it.
2. Does anyone add the ACV to the water occasionally? I've read it is good for something.....don't remember what just now.

You don't need to feed it very often at all....in sourdough one only has to feed it about once a month. Just keep it stirred up once a day and don't worry about feeding it until you use it up.

If your chickens don't have access to natural grit, grit is always needed. For chicks this can be as simple as throwing a clod of your soil into the brooder(with grass intact) and let them eat on it. This has two benefits...they consume grit and needed minerals from the soil and they also get inoculated to the pathogens in your soils and can form stronger antibodies against them as new chicks than they can as older ones.

When feeding FF, you won't need the ACV...they do the same thing. In the summer folks keep it in the water to keep the slime factor down and when not feeding FF, it can provide some valuable intestinal benefits, as well as minerals and vitamins.

You don't need to feed it very often at all....in sourdough one only has to feed it about once a month. Just keep it stirred up once a day and don't worry about feeding it until you use it up.

If your chickens don't have access to natural grit, grit is always needed. For chicks this can be as simple as throwing a clod of your soil into the brooder(with grass intact) and let them eat on it. This has two benefits...they consume grit and needed minerals from the soil and they also get inoculated to the pathogens in your soils and can form stronger antibodies against them as new chicks than they can as older ones.

When feeding FF, you won't need the ACV...they do the same thing. In the summer folks keep it in the water to keep the slime factor down and when not feeding FF, it can provide some valuable intestinal benefits, as well as minerals and vitamins.
I was planning on getting a grassy weed clump out of the flower bed to put in the brooder. I'll add the grit too though. I am also putting a dust bath in there for them That will have sandy soil in it.... Once they are out doors grit won't be needed. Why do people give it then?

I was planning on getting a grassy weed clump out of the flower bed to put in the brooder. I'll add the grit too though. I am also putting a dust bath in there for them That will have sandy soil in it.... Once they are out doors grit won't be needed. Why do people give it then?

Some people say grit is always necessary, even if the birds range. Other people say they can find what they need in the soils.

I have very fine soil, not a lot of sand or gravel on the property (we have some boulder-like gravel on some of the farm roads, and put down gravel in the chicken shed, but most of it falls in the "never eat anything bigger than your head" category for the birds).

Therefore, I offer grit. Sandy baby grit in one spot if I have chicks around, mixed grit sizes in a hopper for everyone else.

Grit is inexpensive, it lasts a long time, even if it is "wasted," it isn't a huge investment.

Some people say grit is always necessary, even if the birds range. Other people say they can find what they need in the soils.

I have very fine soil, not a lot of sand or gravel on the property (we have some boulder-like gravel on some of the farm roads, and put down gravel in the chicken shed, but most of it falls in the "never eat anything bigger than your head" category for the birds).

Therefore, I offer grit. Sandy baby grit in one spot if I have chicks around, mixed grit sizes in a hopper for everyone else.

Grit is inexpensive, it lasts a long time, even if it is "wasted," it isn't a huge investment.
I will use what I have then.

When I had parrots I fed pellet feed and was told I didn't need grit for them. I never gave them any. That is why I asked about the chickens.

I think that one may be taken.....   Do you know how much  Guano goes for???    2.00 to 2.50 a pound....  Though we could market it as a rare Poo from the Gallus Gallus harvested at night during the full moon.....  Gotto be worth 5 bucks a pound...  Packaged in Tea bags.....  Sort....

deb  

Ya, but that's bat. Surely something is different with chickens? ;)

Thanks ladies for the laundry soap info ! I can't wait to try it, I let my wash water drain on my lawn, this soap sounds even better than what I had been using.
My layer mash that I feed has some grit in it already,I get about a 1/4 inch ring of fine gray granite grit down in the bottom of me bucket. I suppose it's just a layer ration like what they feed at the egg factories and has grit mixed in for convenience. I still throw some out every once in a while, can't hurt anything and crop issues are no fun !

I was planning on getting a grassy weed clump out of the flower bed to put in the brooder. I'll add the grit too though. I am also putting a dust bath in there for them That will have sandy soil in it....  Once they are out doors grit won't be needed. Why do people give it then?

Because it's their teeth and some folks have very sandy soil. Although mine are eating the driveway, I still offer a feeder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom