FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Awwww. That makes me happy! It sounds like a great plan.

I think you'll like your duck eggs. HUGE yolks! Our KC male is a pretty bird, and they are all decently calm, good foragers. We don't have slugs here any more, and that's an accomplishment in Oregon. When I was trying to get rid of the Runners that I don't like so much and lay smaller eggs, Dad let himself get flattered into selling some of my KCs instead. Ratz.

I don't know about the nipples for supplying all the water for the ducks ... I keep reading ducks need to get their whole head wet so they don't go blind. Also, they have swallowing issues. But if nipples work they would sure be less messy than open waterers that get filthy in an instant.

This summer I hope to set up a better water play park for my ducks. I have a couple ideas ...

I didn't know about your one meaty ... I'm sorry your duckling got crushed.
sad.png

I've got a large, deep pan for the ducklings to swim in, so they won't be depending on the nipples all the time~just in the brooder....all of my animals drink from a communal pan...dog, cat, and chickens...in the summer months. In the winter time they have heated water buckets and bowls.

Everything I read about the KCs say they don't need a body of water in order to maintain health, so I'll have to wait and see if this is so. When they are older I'll try to keep a large tote filled with water for their bathing pleasure....a chicken needs pasture and a duck needs water, don't they?
big_smile.png
I'll keep their tote near the garden and empty it there when the water needs changed.

I've got a large, deep pan for the ducklings to swim in, so they won't be depending on the nipples all the time~just in the brooder....all of my animals drink from a communal pan...dog, cat, and chickens...in the summer months.  In the winter time they have heated water buckets and bowls. 

Everything I read about the KCs say they don't need a body of water in order to maintain health, so I'll have to wait and see if this is so.  When they are older I'll try to keep a large tote filled with water for their bathing pleasure....a chicken needs pasture and a duck needs water, don't they?  :D    I'll keep their tote near the garden and empty it there when the water needs changed. 

They don't need to swim, but they do like it. It's fun to watch. And if you can incorporate their play water into your garden water that would be super efficient. That's what I want to do if I can.

HI. I'm newly starting chickens, just got a few chicks. I got the medicated chick starter, the one recommended for pasty butt at the store, and the only one in 50# bags. now I want to start with ff. If I understand correctly, I can't use medicated feed for ff, I need to give this bag away and get something else? I get my feed at southern states.
I started the chicks on acv water today, hopefully it will clear their butts. no mucus or blood, but this is a week old...didn't think i'd be back to 'diapers'! Lol! Thanks for any ideas!!!

HI. I'm newly starting chickens, just got a few chicks. I got the medicated chick starter, the one recommended for pasty butt at the store, and the only one in 50# bags. now I want to start with ff. If I understand correctly, I can't use medicated feed for ff, I need to give this bag away and get something else? I get my feed at southern states.
I started the chicks on acv water today, hopefully it will clear their butts. no mucus or blood, but this is a week old...didn't think i'd be back to 'diapers'! Lol! Thanks for any ideas!!!
welcome-byc.gif
mrobins! I'm trying to remember what was said about that. I think, and I may be wrong, but the ff cancels out the medication in the feed. Better wait to make sure by someone who knows for sure. You are in for an adventure! That's how we ALL start, with just a few chicks. They have a way of settling in your heart!

Just to mention my experience with sprouted grains. I always got mold. I have thrown it out.  It gets little white fuzzy mold on it about day 4- 5.  I tried more rinsing, better circulation by running a fan, everything I could think of to no avail.   It wasn't black or green, but nevertheless, mold.  I haven't had mold on my ff since starting it last fall.  This has been my experience.  I know those who sprout have had great results. Not just for me.  I am going to stick with my ff.
are you sure it was mold and not root fibers which are a natural part of the sprouting process (time line adds up, I believe)

HI. I'm newly starting chickens, just got a few chicks. I got the medicated chick starter, the one recommended for pasty butt at the store, and the only one in 50# bags. now I want to start with ff.  If I understand correctly, I can't use medicated feed for ff, I need to give this bag away and get something else?  I get my feed at southern states.
I started the chicks on acv water today, hopefully it will clear their butts. no mucus or blood, but this is a week old...didn't think i'd be back to 'diapers'! Lol!  Thanks for any ideas!!!
I used medicated feed. People say it dilutes the medication, but I didn't want medicated food to begin with. Also, there's no risk of creating resistance due to the nature of the drug.

are you sure it was mold and not root fibers which are a natural part of the sprouting process (time line adds up, I believe)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't root fibers. It was on top of root base, white and fuzzy. When I pinched it out, it was soft and cottony for lack of a better word. I used wheat and boss.

No worries, you can use that just fine. It will make it redundant, but it's perfectly fine to use. A lot of pasty butt is caused by a too hot~ or uneven temps in~ the brooder, so you may want to tone down the heat. After you start the FF for them, you'll not need the ACV in the water any longer, so keep that in mind. Try to mix it very dry if they are already having pasty stool, you won't want them to consume more liquid than they need to do.

This makes SO much sense, though! :lau  :gig  :old  :gig  :lau  

ETA: Now I'm trying super hard to not think too much about whatever in the world gave him that idea in the first place. Really, don't think about it. :oops:

You should look up the bestiality laws in his area and then send him a copy of it! :lol: if the laws are prohibitive, tell him where he can seek help. If the laws are permissive or non-existing, tell him you've posted his ways all over the Internet on a chicken discussion forum!!

I mean...WHAT IN THE WORLD other reason could there be for his logic?! I don't usually laugh AT people, but I can't hold this one in!

Back
Top Bottom