FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I do ff with the H & H brand-their feeds all have the Nutribalancer already mixed in the formulas. :)

This is why I'm hoping to soon be working with a feed mill to make a custom feed that's designed to be fermented and used as a base, then different supplements added for my different "flocks" just prior to feeding.

Note: I do not think it is necessary to do use a custom blend of feed, and I'm not sure it's necessary to add supplements to fermented feed at all ... the fermentation process releases so many more nutrients. But I believe a custom feed system will work well for our setup -- my customers expect my flock to be fed "premium" feeds, and I want to make sure I squeeze every drop of value out of the extra expense of that.

Last edited:
Ok folks.. I need a little advice; this is the first
time since I started doing FF that I will have chicks. I'm wondering what ya'll ferment for your chicks ? I'm not sure that I want to use medicated chick starter, but is that what folks are fermenting for their youngin's or is there another feed that you suggest ? Do ya'll think I should use medicated feed because it's "better for the chicks" ? Any info will be appreciated ! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Ok folks.. I need a little advice; this is the first
time since I started doing FF that I will have chicks. I'm wondering what ya'll ferment for your chicks ? I'm not sure that I want to use medicated chick starter, but is that what folks are fermenting for their youngin's or is there another feed that you suggest ? Do ya'll think I should use medicated feed because it's "better for the chicks" ? Any info will be appreciated ! Thanks
smile.png

I never used medicated feeds...really no need. And there is especially no need when you feed FF and expose the chicks to low levels of coccidia that may be in your soils/coop/run. Since I keep things simple at my place, whatever flock takes priority in feed, that is what I feed the most of and I mix it right into the whole flock's bucket. So, when I have chicks, the laying flock get fatter because they are chowing down on 18% protein chick starter, for the most part, along with some of their regular laying mash. The chick starter is just a nod towards having feed particles small enough for chicks to fit into their mouths...you'd be surprised at just how big of pieces they can eat, though.

The chicks get mostly chick starter the first few weeks with a little layer ration mixed in but gradually, as the chick starter runs out, they get transitioned over to layer. Yes, I know everyone says not to feed chicks layer ration...I've even fed chicks straight layer ration from day one before when I didn't feel like buying chick starter. That group of chicks turned out to be the Gnarly Bunch, two of which I still have in my laying flock at 6 yrs of age.

It's all a matter of preference with no real wrong or right, but medicated starter will not insure your chicks do not get coccidiosis...there are many posts on this forum where chicks fed MS still got coccidiosis.

Anyhoo...I don't mix separate buckets, all feed is dumped into the same bucket and everyone gets what everyone else is getting. It works for me and works well, so I just keep doing it.

I never used medicated feeds...really no need. And there is especially no need when you feed FF and expose the chicks to low levels of coccidia that may be in your soils/coop/run.  Since I keep things simple at my place, whatever flock takes priority in feed, that is what I feed the most of and I mix it right into the whole flock's bucket. So, when I have chicks, the laying flock get fatter because they are chowing down on 18% protein chick starter, for the most part, along with some of their regular laying mash.  The chick starter is just a nod towards having feed particles small enough for chicks to fit into their mouths...you'd be surprised at just how big of pieces they can eat, though. 

The chicks get mostly chick starter the first few weeks with a little layer ration mixed in but gradually, as the chick starter runs out, they get transitioned over to layer.  Yes, I know everyone says not to feed chicks layer ration...I've even fed chicks straight layer ration from day one before when I didn't feel like buying chick starter.  That group of chicks turned out to be the Gnarly Bunch, two of which I still have in my laying flock at 6 yrs of age.

It's all a matter of preference with no real wrong or right, but medicated starter will not insure your chicks do not get coccidiosis...there are many posts on this forum where chicks fed MS still got coccidiosis.   

Anyhoo...I don't mix separate buckets, all feed is dumped into the same bucket and everyone gets what everyone else is getting.  It works for me and works well, so I just keep doing it. 

Thanks, Bee. I'm hoping to get chick stater (non-medicated) but I'm not sure that the local feed store even sells any non-medicated chick starter. I'm going to have to look into it. My old flock has been sold and the chicks will take up residence in the coop formerly occupied by my old flock... Is there any need to worry about cocci on the soils in the run that may harm the new chicks ? I free range but from time to time they will be confined to the run.

Thanks, Bee. I'm hoping to get chick stater (non-medicated) but I'm not sure that the local feed store even sells any non-medicated chick starter. I'm going to have to look into it. My old flock has been sold and the chicks will take up residence in the coop formerly occupied by my old flock... Is there any need to worry about cocci on the soils in the run that may harm the new chicks ? I free range but from time to time they will be confined to the run.

No...it's perfect! I brood my chicks on the floor of my coop, in the same bedding my flock have been pooping into for a couple of years for that express purpose. To expose the chicks when they can best form immunities, the first few weeks of their lives. I even take it one step further and place a half shovel of sod~grass intact~into the coop so they can gain minerals from the soil and also be exposed to the soils they will be walking upon and eating all their lives.

No...it's perfect!  I brood my chicks on the floor of my coop, in the same bedding my flock have been pooping into for a couple of years for that express purpose.  To expose the chicks when they can best form immunities, the first few weeks of their lives.  I even take it one step further and place a half shovel of sod~grass intact~into the coop so they can gain minerals from the soil and also be exposed to the soils they will be walking upon and eating all their lives.

Excellent idea with the sod ! No better way to help the lil fluffer butts produce some good anti-bodies ! Thanks again for your help, Bee ! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom