FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Having turned the babies loose outside is changing my backslopping/refreshing pattern.... instead of every 2 or 3 days, now I'm looking at needing more every. 1.5 ish days. I just did the math on what I'm giving, and it's right at the 1 cup a day, total.

I'm not sure I'm liking just the 2 night ferment, and I'm not convinced it's not as satisfying, which makes them eat more, which causes me to backslop/refresh more frequently.

I am tweaking the protein to see if it has any kind of effect like it does with people, but I'm thinking if the ferment is not as good at 3 days, that might be it.

What to do, what to do.....I almost bought another cooler the same size {especially because they were different colors} which would put me back to a 4/5 day refresh. I'm just not sure we could keep it straight for any length of time.

I haven't seen a bigger cooler with wheels and a handle.........

Am I over thinking it?

That's why I do multiple buckets. Each bucket is a feeding. I keep them in a specific order so each ferments for 3 to 5 days, depending on how speedy I am at refreshing the buckets.

Fermenting for bigger flocks is a challenge!

That's why I do multiple buckets. Each bucket is a feeding. I keep them in a specific order so each ferments for 3 to 5 days, depending on how speedy I am at refreshing the buckets.

Fermenting for bigger flocks is a challenge!

Yep. That's why I went with a 60 quart to begin with. I would not be able to do a bucket a day and keep track. As it is, I'm labeling eggs because even with having the same system in place for eons, the kids are always confused..... lol

Yep. That's why I went with a 60 quart to begin with. I would not be able to do a bucket a day and keep track. As it is, I'm labeling eggs because even with having the same system in place for eons, the kids are always confused..... lol

Oh yeah ... it took forever to get everyone to understand the egg storage pattern! I think I'm the only one who cares, which is kinda scary. I have to keep a close eye on things.

Oh yeah ... it took forever to get everyone to understand the egg storage pattern! I think I'm the only one who cares, which is kinda scary. I have to keep a close eye on things.

*nods* I have to have it simple enough that my girls can do it while I'm gone. The last time, the chick's food was good; bigs, not so much. I need to supervise a few times before I leave again. Meh.

Having turned the babies loose outside is changing my backslopping/refreshing pattern.... instead of every 2 or 3 days, now I'm looking at needing more every. 1.5 ish days. I just did the math on what I'm giving, and it's right at the 1 cup a day, total.

I'm not sure I'm liking just the 2 night ferment, and I'm not convinced it's not as satisfying, which makes them eat more, which causes me to backslop/refresh more frequently.

I am tweaking the protein to see if it has any kind of effect like it does with people, but I'm thinking if the ferment is not as good at 3 days, that might be it.

What to do, what to do.....I almost bought another cooler the same size {especially because they were different colors} which would put me back to a 4/5 day refresh. I'm just not sure we could keep it straight for any length of time.

I haven't seen a bigger cooler with wheels and a handle.........

Am I over thinking it?

Probably. Just move to a bigger container for your feed...they sell very large totes at Walmart for reasonable prices, that will hold more than your ice chest and in which you won't have to refresh the feed so often.

Here's a 32 gal. one for $14 http://www.walmart.com/ip/HOMZ-32-Gallon-Tote-Gray/25864294

It's like using a large trash can, like Kassaundra does, but it's not so very tall and easier to dump feed and water into and also for stirring.

Probably.  Just move to a bigger container for your feed...they sell very large totes at Walmart for reasonable prices, that will hold more than your ice chest and in which you won't have to refresh the feed so often.

Here's a 32 gal. one for $14    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HOMZ-32-Gallon-Tote-Gray/25864294

It's like using a large trash can, like Kassaundra does, but it's not so very tall and easier to dump feed and water into and also for stirring. 

Might have to go that route. Boooo. I really like the cooler with wheels.....

I have a question. We were researching for my daughters school assignment salmonella. I was looking into some cases in Iowa where they found salmonella laced feed was the source of salmonella in that farms eggs. Do you think that the fermentation that we do would prevent salmonella getting to chickens if your feed was somehow contaminated previous to your purchasing?

I have a question. We were researching for my daughters school assignment salmonella. I was looking into some cases in Iowa where they found salmonella laced feed was the source of salmonella in that farms eggs. Do you think that the fermentation that we do would prevent salmonella getting to chickens if your feed was somehow contaminated previous to your purchasing?

I'm not sure...I don't know if the acidic nature of the FF would kill the salmonella...I know it prevents salmonella overgrowth in the bowel but not sure if it could kill large amounts of a virulent strain of salmonella present in the feed. I'm guessing this is no ordinary salmonella, like the e.coli that kills in our food supply is no ordinary e.coli...I'm thinking this is a salmonella that has been created into a superbug via the overuse of antibiotics in the livestock.

In that case, I'm doubting it could be killed by the good guys in a ferment feed bucket....but ya never know.

Hi all! My chicks hatched last Saturday and per the advice here I started my first batch of FF the Tuesday before they hatched. I am doing just a 1 gallon glass jar (no lid). Now that it's been over a week since I started my FF is it still any good? I give it daily (even though the chicks are not liking it at all) - but it's not putting a dent in my jar with how much is left. I just wonder - at what point would it go bad and I'd have to start over? Or is it good as long as I stir daily?? Thank you!!

Hi all! My chicks hatched last Saturday and per the advice here I started my first batch of FF the Tuesday before they hatched. I am doing just a 1 gallon glass jar (no lid). Now that it's been over a week since I started my FF is it still any good? I give it daily (even though the chicks are not liking it at all) - but it's not putting a dent in my jar with how much is left. I just wonder - at what point would it go bad and I'd have to start over? Or is it good as long as I stir daily?? Thank you!!
It's good forever as long as you stir and refresh. I'm surprised they don't go for it. I have hatched about 30 chicks in the past month and they go for it big time. Put a little new feed and water in it every few days to keep it refreshed--and stir (I stir 3x day).

Back
Top Bottom