FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Let me guess...The uppity Delaware chicks...lol

Or the mutts that follow Mama around.
lau.gif

Somehow in my hunt and peck reading on BYC on fermented feeds, I didn't pick up how you tell when your mash is fermented. I thought that when it was sour smelling, it must be fermented. So, I see the 4 days you recommend to wait, but what are the signs of fermentation? Bubbles? When I make kimchee (essentially hot Korean sauerkraut), I figure it is just a matter of degree of fermentation. If you let it set very long, it gets quite sour and wonderful, if you like kimchee, but you can stop at a lighter degree of fermentation, if you don't like it that fermented. Wouldn't chicken feed be the same way?

Well, I've lost 5 babies so far and one seems a bit weak. My dad's really questioning the ff, although the other 22 seem fine. Any precautions on using this on 3 day old chicks?

Last edited:
Well, I've lost 5 babies so far. One seemed a bit weak. My dad's really questioning the ff, although the other 22 seem fine. Any precautions on using this on 3 day old chicks?
I feed it to them straight out of the hatcher. Where did you get them? Sometimes the mash is too wet or caked down for them to eat it. For the first couple weeks I break it up several times a day for them.

Well, I've lost 5 babies so far and one seems a bit weak. My dad's really questioning the ff, although the other 22 seem fine. Any precautions on using this on 3 day old chicks?

On the contrary, I had mine on it from day 3 when I got them. I had 3 breeds, Golden Comets, Delawares and White Rocks. I have had 4 Delaware die in the first week. They were a puny bunch compared to the others. Now everybody, including the rest of the Dellies are strong, big and happy as a clam. I finally got them out of the brooder yesterday. They are so happy and running. Eating up a storm. Fermented feed is the best thing I learned on this entire forum. The weather this year has delayed a lot of the babies. Low fertilization, etc. More mortality from the hatcheries. Not just the one I got mine at. Meyer. Especially the Silkies have been hard hit. Tell you Dad to let them weather it. I understand his concern, but this year has been exceptional. The nutrition in the FF is helping them.
big_smile.png

Somehow in my hunt and peck reading on BYC on fermented feeds, I didn't pick up how you tell when your mash is fermented. I thought that when it was sour smelling, it must be fermented. So, I see the 4 days you recommend to wait, but what are the signs of fermentation? Bubbles? When I make kimchee (essentially hot Korean sauerkraut), I figure it is just a matter of degree of fermentation. If you let it set very long, it gets quite sour and wonderful, if you like kimchee, but you can stop at a lighter degree of fermentation, if you don't like it that fermented. Wouldn't chicken feed be the same way?

Usually after the first time it will be fermented perfectly. If you let it sit for weeks and didn't add more water and feed and not stir I could see it getting quite stout. I don't think you'll be able to keep it around that long.
lau.gif
I made up a batch with backslop (3-4 cups) and added feed and water until consistancy of mortar. This came up half full of a 5 gallon bucket. My 16 6 wk olds will finish it off in a couple of days and I'll start over. (Maybe 3 days. ha) My set up is so easy. Just got them in the coop yesterday. I keep the bucket of ff with lid on in the coop and just dip out 4 cups 2 x daily. This is the easiest ever!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom