FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

So if I just started getting white fuzz on my feed would I be safe to bet it's yeast? I switched feeds and the new feed keeps getting this white fuzz that I assumed was mold.

Sorry, i know i must sound so petulant, it's frustrating because i tend to over think and over do things, especially since egg production has dropped which MAY be entirely normal (i have never had chickens so i'm in a huge learning curve) or it may be due to change in food and Scratch n Peck just doesn't "do" it for them, i'll never know unless i switch something up. I'm still going to ferment the pellets and see and offer them both.

Right now their plate of ferment (the organic) is sitting out there, is it ok to leave it out there all day in 75 degree temps? This has me running back and forth, LOL.

Their ferment bucket of organic is still sittting out (this is day 4) i don't know how long it'll take me to go through it now that they act like they aren't interested, do i just keep it out?

Also i am thinking of TRYING another ferment with the organic but this time grinding the grains in with the fines so it ALL turns into a mash like the pellets do. Other than that, don't know what to do except put them back on pelleted food for a couple weeks to see if egg production changes or just keep them on organic and wet it and just accept what's going on

Again thanks for listening. Wish others would weigh in (not that you haven't been extremely helpful! :)

Hey ReilyJ, don't panic. First thing to do is take out all dry food. This is new and they want what they are accustomed to getting. They will not get hungry. I live in La and it's 101 today. I make and keep my FF outside at all times. Under the shade, but it still gets some sun. It's not going to go bad. Stir daily and feed. I crush up eggshells and put in a serving of FF for my layers. It could be the heat that is slowing down your layers. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Hey ReilyJ, don't panic. First thing to do is take out all dry food. This is new and they want what they are accustomed to getting. They will not get hungry. I live in La and it's 101 today. I make and keep my FF outside at all times. Under the shade, but it still gets some sun. It's not going to go bad. Stir daily and feed. I crush up eggshells and put in a serving of FF for my layers. It could be the heat that is slowing down your layers. Good luck
thumbsup.gif
Thanks! i'll keep trying even if it doesn't look like they're eating much.

The FF looks nasty in the bowl left out today but....i'll keep trying. Picky bratty hens, LOL

Thanks! i'll keep trying even if it doesn't look like they're eating much. 

The FF looks nasty in the bowl left out today but....i'll keep trying. Picky bratty hens, LOL
whatever they don't eat, you can put back in the bucket and stir it back in, or dump it out on the geound...vet if it's a lot, you don't want to leave it out overnight to attract rodents.

So my first FF is now 4 days old and i'm going to add a little more food and water, it will be "done" in 12 hours? It's 6 p.m. here now and i feed them around 7 a.m.

Also it's 75 here but at night it dips a bit below 60 or so.. i don't warm the house at night. hoping the feed is fermented sufficiently

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom