FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I would love to add more items to my mix - but finding anything around her other than oats is difficult. I could only find one store that had barley. Why don't you like soybeans?

All of the reasons already stated by Tikkijane, plus:
1. I'm very allergic to soy; and in the past year, intact soybean protein has been isolated from the muscle of chickens fed on soy. I'm guessing that may be why chicken meat (even mine) used to make me nauseous. Since we took the chickens along on the organic parade, I have no problem after eating it.
2. We're a certified grass-fed beef farm. The birds were inserted by me, sort of against husbands' wishes. (He loves eggs, but doesn't like chickens much. Seems to like the turkeys, but won't admit it.). Having grains around was bad enough - having GMO's around was completely unacceptable.

I hadn't considered that. To be honest I didn't know that I'd have to feed dry over the winter although "winter" down here in south Texas really isn't cold.

Thanks for the help!
RichnSteph

I feed FF 12 months out of the year. I am in AZ so my feed never freezes. My girls usually eat a good majority of their ration within the first hour of feeding. If they don't finish it all, I add it back to the bucket and stir it in.

It has nothign with boredom :) they have 5 acres to entertain themselves with. I'm going to see if we can get some sunflower seeds. going to add in some oats too. I know they go crazy for oats.

The only thing I add to my FF bucket is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS). They sell them at Walmart and I usually get a large bag at a feed store. It is sold with the wild bird seed, not in the poultry department.

So for the people that give them enough for about an hour. What do they get till you feed again?

Mine free range so they forage. But they swear they are starving. They will wait around for me. then run up to me everytime I go outside as if I should feed them. But before feeding the FF they would forage all day and only eat a little at night so I know for a fact they are fine. Mine forage plus I feed some scraps inbetween feedings.

I am certain this has been answered before, but...
I am fermenting a wheat/rye mix with scratch, about 50/50. When I ladle it out, I make sure to get some of the liquid. I then mix that with enough regular feed to make it not mushy. They love it. Then, they free range and have regular feed free choice along with calcium.

How much of this fermented mixture is too much? If they stopped eating their free-choice feed all together, would egg production and health go up or down? I guess what I'm asking is if you take cost out of the equation, which is better? Fermented mix of grains/scratch or dry crumbles?

I am just feeding Fermented feed. They will start to get Fodder here soon once it grows,also. I think Fermented is better than regular feed. It brings out all the good stuff!

Last edited:
I'm jealous of you all

My chickens are meh about FF.... and always have been. Obviously they eat it as they're not starving (they free range, also) but they certainly don't gobble it down within 30 min until it's gone like everyone else is saying..

I am just feeding Fermented feed. They will start to get Fodder here soon once it grows,also. I think Fermented is better than regular feed. It brings out all the good stuff!

When you say fermented feed, do you mean store-bought pellets/crumbles or seeds, corn, etc? I don't ferment their crumbles. I just mix them in with the seeds and scratch when I feed them. On fodder...I used to feed them sprouted seeds, but they don't seem to like it as much now given the fermented option. I'm guessing that could change once winter really hits.

I'm jealous of you all

My chickens are meh about FF.... and always have been. Obviously they eat it as they're not starving (they free range, also) but they certainly don't gobble it down within 30 min until it's gone like everyone else is saying..

How long have you been feeding them fermented? They may just need to get used to it!

Back
Top Bottom