FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Yep, the feed store workers don't always know what they are talking about. One told me that none of their bagged grains could be sprouted. I bought some anyway, and they sprouted perfectly fine. I've also seen feed store personnel choosing "female" chicks for people by picking them up by their heads. They tell them that if the chick just dangles it is guaranteed a pullet. So yeah. Take anything they tell you with a grain of salt.

I was in the Countryside store the other day checking out their feed. I would love to use organic. When I asked about fermenting I was told by their employee that their feed could not be fermented. I did not ask why. So was he mistaken as people on this thread ARE fermenting it? I wonder why he said that and I wonder why I didn't question him. I am a newbie so I guess I just thought he had to be right and then I saw on this thread that some people do ferment it.

Organic is much more expensive and I thought if I fermented it that it would be healthier and less costly. Any advice?

You absolutely can ferment it. I mentioned it an employee at my local feed store. He asked me about why I would and seemed interested in the benefits. My guess would be either your local feed guy either doesn't know about it like the guy I spoke with or he is aware but is more interested in making sales than seeing people save their money.

Yep, the feed store workers don't always know what they are talking about. One told me that none of their bagged grains could be sprouted. I bought some anyway, and they sprouted perfectly fine. I've also seen feed store personnel choosing "female" chicks for people by picking them up by their heads. They tell them that if the chick just dangles it is guaranteed a pullet. So yeah. Take anything they tell you with a grain of salt.

Right...because that's an accurate way to determine anyone's gender!
gig.gif

Also, horrifying for those chicks.

Last edited:
I wont even go to TSC when chicks are there........ The last time i was there the sign on the tub said it contained GREEN laced wyandottes. When i questioned the info on the card, the young lady asked if i wanted to buy chicks or just ***** ? No joke....... Another customer overheard her and complained, the young lady no longer has a job. But, this is a prime example of the quality of feed store employees.

Gah! We have a TSC in my area but I've only been in there a couple of times - only when the mom&pop feed store doesn't have what I'm looking for. That guy doesn't have live animals in his store at any time (unless customers bring in their own pets) and he stocks as many locally made products as he can get his hands on. He doesn't keep chickens or know much about them but he lets me talk his ears off about mine lol

Last edited:
I was in the Countryside store the other day checking out their feed. I would love to use organic. When I asked about fermenting I was told by their employee that their feed could not be fermented. I did not ask why. So was he mistaken as people on this thread ARE fermenting it? I wonder why he said that and I wonder why I didn't question him. I am a newbie so I guess I just thought he had to be right and then I saw on this thread that some people do ferment it.

Organic is much more expensive and I thought if I fermented it that it would be healthier and less costly. Any advice?

Hi vpatt! I would really like to know why they said that. I've been fermenting their feed for over 4 years.....and have had wonderful results. I use a 1-bucket method now which seems to do much better! I'll call and ask myself why they told you not to. Good luck.....it's very good for your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom