FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I admit I went back to regular layer pellets, adding in oats and cracked corn. They get fresh veggies too. They went off the FF, quit eating it so I just quit feeding it. Not saying it's bad or doesn't work.

I admit I went back to regular layer pellets, adding in oats and cracked corn. They get fresh veggies too. They went off the FF, quit eating it so I just quit feeding it. Not saying it's bad or doesn't work.
Mine are kind of meh about it so i mix dry pellets in with it, trusting they'll eat enough of it if they're hungry. i also give shelled BOSS and a bit of cracked corn in the cold weather

I just got back from a 7 week trip. My hens had to eat dry pellets while i was gone...... They look terrible! Egg production is way down! Started a new batch today so i can have fermented feed for them in a couple of days. I sure hope their appearance improves.

Mine are kind of meh about it so i mix dry pellets in with it, trusting they'll eat enough of it if they're hungry. i also give shelled BOSS and a bit of cracked corn in the cold weather

Mine quit eating it about 3 weeks ago. It was about that time it started getting chilly in the daytime. I think they just don't like FF when the weather is cold. They won't even eat it when i mixed in yogurt anymore. I tried warming it and they ate a little of it warmed up but not enough to bother warming it every day.

So they are on pellets for the winter and i will start a new batch of FF in the spring.

I am starting a batch today. I may keep the first batch inside. I hope after that it will work outside as I would like to keep it in the usual place. Well I mean where i keep all the feed. I may try the Countryside feed when this sack runs out.

Last edited:
Hi vpatt! I would really like to know why they said that.  I've been fermenting their feed for over 4 years.....and have had wonderful results.  I use a 1-bucket method now which seems to do much better! I'll call and ask myself why they told you not to.  Good luck.....it's very good for your chickens. 
Hi vpatt! I would really like to know why they said that.  I've been fermenting their feed for over 4 years.....and have had wonderful results.  I use a 1-bucket method now which seems to do much better! I'll call and ask myself why they told you not to.  Good luck.....it's very good for your chickens. 

I would like to know what they tell you....when I go back I will ask about it. It would be nice if a different person is working.....I can see if they agree with the employee I already spoke with.

Mine quit eating it about 3 weeks ago. It was about that time it started getting chilly in the daytime. I think they just don't like FF when the weather is cold. They won't even eat it when i mixed in yogurt anymore. I tried warming it and they ate a little of it warmed up but not enough to bother warming it every day.

So they are on pellets for the winter and i will start a new batch of FF in the spring.
Mine did the same thing with the FF. They went from loving it to not even looking at it once it started to cool down outside. Then it sat for a while and got way more moldy than I was comfortable with so I poured almost a full 5 gallon bucket into the BSF bin and those little buggers just inhaled it.

RichnSteph

Last edited:
Both my ducks and chickens are still choosing FF over pellets and it's -20°C... Pretty interesting differences.
Do you store yours in a warm place? I'd considered keeping our FF bucket inside the house in the mud room but my wife was having none of it due to the slight yeast smell. Personally I like the smell, reminds me of bread.

RichnSteph

Back
Top Bottom