FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I have just tried it, fermented my feed for 3 days. Im not sure if it was long enough though because the corn was still hard, but they just devoured it! I Assume its also easier for them to digest the feed and extract the nutrients from it

The whole purpose of fermenting is to make all of the nutrients available for complete digestion.

1f413.png
1f423.png

Say, I've been reading this thread for months now and am finally about to get my own birds! The FF is bubbling on the counter as I type.

Anyway: HAS ANYONE TRIED USING 5 GALLON MESH PAINT STRAINER BAGS FOR THE FERMENTED FEED INSTEAD OF THE SECOND BUCKET WITH THE HOLES DRILLED IN?

Sorry for yelling. These bags are CHEEP! at less than 2.00 ea. and I can't imagine they wouldn't work instead of the 2nd bucket and maybe even a bit better?

Maybe I'll try some smaller strainer (jelly) bags for the little amount I'll be using with my new birds.....

I don't know that anyone uses the holey buckets or strains their feed much any longer. We've learned it does just fine if we mix it a little more dry and thick, where it needs no straining at all. I do put a few holes in the bottom of my feed troughs to let any excess fluid drain out but it's not much.

So I have a few questions, I'm new to fermenting feed but after doing a little reading it seems like it has so many benefits so I started some today using the double bucket method. My question is how long is the feed good for when you take it out of the fermenting bath, while submerged in the bath is it preserved? How many times can you use the same liquid? And is there a chance that fermented feed can cause sour crop? My dad asked about the sour crop and I didn't know how to answer, I'm assuming there is some yeast growth during fermentation, can this be bad for the chicken's crop?

So I have a few questions, I'm new to fermenting feed but after doing a little reading it seems like it has so many benefits so I started some today using the double bucket method. My question is how long is the feed good for when you take it out of the fermenting bath, while submerged in the bath is it preserved? How many times can you use the same liquid? And is there a chance that fermented feed can cause sour crop? My dad asked about the sour crop and I didn't know how to answer, I'm assuming there is some yeast growth during fermentation, can this be bad for the chicken's crop?

No, this is beneficial yeasts and the yeast that causes things like sour crop is usually candida or some version thereof. The feed, once fermented, is good for some time as the fermentation sort of preserves it somewhat. If anything it can help to prevent the overgrowth of these kind of yeasts in the body.

Most of us don't use the double bucket method any longer as we just mix our FF thicker and retain a little of it in the bottom of the bucket for when we rebatch with fresh water and feed. Sort of like sourdough bread refreshing. There are pics in the gallery of this thread of the consistency I use now and it's more like a thick mortar consistency. It does not have to be submerged in the fermented liquid to stay fresh or fermented, though the top can look a little grey in the morning from being exposed to the air, a quick stir of the contents will restore that fresh top.

No, this is beneficial yeasts and the yeast that causes things like sour crop is usually candida or some version thereof. The feed, once fermented, is good for some time as the fermentation sort of preserves it somewhat. If anything it can help to prevent the overgrowth of these kind of yeasts in the body.

Most of us don't use the double bucket method any longer as we just mix our FF thicker and retain a little of it in the bottom of the bucket for when we rebatch with fresh water and feed. Sort of like sourdough bread refreshing. There are pics in the gallery of this thread of the consistency I use now and it's more like a thick mortar consistency. It does not have to be submerged in the fermented liquid to stay fresh or fermented, though the top can look a little grey in the morning from being exposed to the air, a quick stir of the contents will restore that fresh top.
Oh good I'll make sure to relate this to him and I'm glad I have no doubts about doing this now!
Is there a particular reason people don't use the double bucket method anymore?

Oh good I'll make sure to relate this to him and I'm glad I have no doubts about doing this now!
Is there a particular reason people don't use the double bucket method anymore?

That was a method I came up with to drain a whole bucket of mostly whole grain feed for feeding meat chicks and just carried it over to feeding layers, but found out I didn't have to strain the layer feed if I just mixed it thicker and left it dryer. Eventually I came down to using the single bucket when I brought it inside for the winter and found I liked the simplicity of it more than the double bucket system.

If this site would allow us to edit our first page of the threads that info would be included there but they don't, so folks find out much later that the method has morphed and has become more convenient to use and feed as we go along. I'm sorry about that and wish I could edit that first page's info but it is what it is.

That was a method I came up with to drain a whole bucket of mostly whole grain feed for feeding meat chicks and just carried it over to feeding layers, but found out I didn't have to strain the layer feed if I just mixed it thicker and left it dryer. Eventually I came down to using the single bucket when I brought it inside for the winter and found I liked the simplicity of it more than the double bucket system.

If this site would allow us to edit our first page of the threads that info would be included there but they don't, so folks find out much later that the method has morphed and has become more convenient to use and feed as we go along. I'm sorry about that and wish I could edit that first page's info but it is what it is.
It's ok the buckets I got didn't cost me much at all and I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into posting here and answering questions for newbies like me!

Back
Top Bottom