FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I've gone to dry food on days that will be primarily below freezing. It is just easier to keep the bulk feeders full and keep the buckets of FF in a warm area to put it out when it warms up. Most flocks always have dry feed in the coop but seem to wait to be let out for their FF and they completely clean it up before dusk.

Ha! Well, despite my efforts, at a high of 11 degrees today my chickens will be eating a ff popsicle. Poor girls.

Y'all I had great success during -17 below zero last year by putting the FF on my deep litter. If you have a good, composting deep litter in your coop it generates warmth that can keep your FF from freezing before they can eat it. It also gets your DL worked up to the max, so I put it on areas where I don't mind if they toss the litter. I prefer if they don't toss the litter under the roosts where I'm "cooking" it.

Ha! Well, despite my efforts, at a high of 11 degrees today my chickens will be eating a ff popsicle. Poor girls.

I am from Loveland. So I know who the weather goes out there. Depending on what the weather does the next few days that things should go out pretty quickly :) You could start a new trend, FF ice sculpture.

Hi everyone... I need advice.
So a week after the flock block incident, my chickens are seeming much better, but still aren't eating well at all. Yesterday we had a high of 10 degrees, and today it was 20. I worried that they didn't want to cold and quickly frozen ff, so I even gave them a dish of dry pellets yesterday. I put out a handful of BOSS, which they usually devour, but they haven't touched it. Well, they are eating some, but nothing like normal, and especially for such frigid days... I expected their intake to go up a bit.
That being said, aside from the flock block disaster, they are still nervous about the first snowfall sitting on the ground, and these are the first truly cold days we've had. I am still getting the one egg a day I have been since mid-November.
Might any of you have a suggestion for a "treat" to kick them back into gear? I may scramble them up some of the precious eggs tomorrow morning, to see if they go for them. Those are usually a crowd pleaser. I have read of people making their chickens oatmeal, lentils, and a million other things. Any thoughts on any of these ideas?

Quote:
I get a 50 lb bag at TSC. but I think it is available at home depot as well.

I would also add a vitamin to the water just to boost everything up there is rooster booster, nutridrench, vitamin electrolyte powder

In severe cases I have heard of people offering a crushed tums as a quick jolt of calcium.

As with any advice do your research as well

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom