FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

As EggSighted4Life - I prefer "oatmeal" consistancy for all, too wet makes for messy down/feathers.  I started off wet but after reading a bunch & trying it out, prefer the drier.  You could try wetter, adding more dry as you like.  I tend to use the ratio of 1:1 although have found that depending on the feed using, may need less or more water so I just adjust as I go.  

I agree, thicker for the baby chicks. My FF has been watery and the poor little things are all wet when they get done eating. Learned my lesson

I've found FF with chicks alot less pasty butts
1f600.png

Quote: I use commercial feed (grower-finisher or all flock) and I too have found that if I want the gas to bubble through it instead of pushing the mass up and out of their casks I have to thin it to the consistency of cheap ketchup. And of course anyone who has tried will know that fermented commercial feed cannot be strained. However, I have found that if left undisturbed, like overnight, the feed will settle to the bottom. So before I feed them in the morning I carefully pour the water off the top and what is left is that oatmeal consistency everyone talks about.

Oh, and be sure to keep the water, it's full of culture that can help jump start the next batch!

I use commercial feed (grower-finisher or all flock) and I too have found that if I want the gas to bubble through it instead of pushing the mass up and out of their casks I have to thin it to the consistency of cheap ketchup. And of course anyone who has tried will know that fermented commercial feed cannot be strained. However, I have found that if left undisturbed, like overnight, the feed will settle to the bottom. So before I feed them in the morning I carefully pour the water off the top and what is left is that oatmeal consistency everyone talks about.

Oh, and be sure to keep the water, it's full of culture that can help jump start the next batch!

I'm straining mine right now. I have to keep it thinner so I can mix it. Then I scoop it out into a a solid small hole strainer (mesh, but wire if that makes sense). I do have to stir & press water out once excess water finishes on its own-if I want it drier. Does take more work & time, but for me if I don't do this I don't get it mixed. So, it's an option. I only make one day up in each bucket so I'm dealing with smaller amounts too. Maybe if I did it in a tote there'd be more surface area, but that poses other issues-possibly too much surface area so it's not deep enough, moving the totes, etc.

I love how my birds are on this. Can't wait to try chicks from day one! Be interesting to see chicks from whatever source versus ones mine lay & hatch when the time comes.
Main thing is to adjust to what works for you. We've all got different birds, climate, time, & ability.

Beyond the stirring it gets when I add fresh feed, I never stir mine. It gets moved around a bit when I dip some out but I don't bother to try and stir it at all....too thick to bother. Too thick is WAY better than too thin.
thumbsup.gif

Beyond the stirring it gets when I add fresh feed, I never stir mine. It gets moved around a bit when I dip some out but I don't bother to try and stir it at all....too thick to bother.  Too thick is WAY better than too thin.  :thumbsup

I like it thicker, but with the temps here (SE of Phoenix, AZ-desert temps& dryness) I have to do it in my kitchen. Garage in winter gets too cold & summer too hot. Outside similar issues-especially during our summer-coupled with no humidity so things dry out fast. Even during cooler winter months.

I tried not stirring, but would find pockets of dry feed. So I failed at that. I'm using a long handled, metal BBQ spatula that works pretty good. I'm trying to find the right ratio. Plus, I've noticed a difference between adding more water before I add feed versus after. Generally in absorption & how much it fluffs. Stirring, still an issue.

I'm keeping it thick as I can during it & definitely one I remove some water. I'm constant looking at what, where, & how I can do things too.

Thanks as always!

I like it thicker, but with the temps here (SE of Phoenix, AZ-desert temps& dryness) I have to do it in my kitchen. Garage in winter gets too cold & summer too hot. Outside similar issues-especially during our summer-coupled with no humidity so things dry out fast. Even during cooler winter months.

I tried not stirring, but would find pockets of dry feed. So I failed at that. I'm using a long handled, metal BBQ spatula that works pretty good. I'm trying to find the right ratio. Plus, I've noticed a difference between adding more water before I add feed versus after. Generally in absorption & how much it fluffs. Stirring, still an issue.

I'm keeping it thick as I can during it & definitely one I remove some water. I'm constant looking at what, where, & how I can do things too.

Thanks as always!
I can't stir at all if I don't add water before feed.

I use the 18 gal totes and a lightweight canoe paddle and pour the whole 50# bag at once. So major dry pockets.

So which way are you calling fluffier? And do you just mean how much it fluffs in the bucket or the actual fluffiness of the mix? I like it fluffy, but it's hard to tell when it's thick.

@Beekissed You crack me up!
gig.gif
Your very simple way of keeping things take some of the fear out for over thinker type people like me.
wink.png

I can't stir at all if I don't add water before feed.

I use the 18 gal totes and a lightweight canoe paddle and pour the whole 50# bag at once. So major dry pockets.

So which way are you calling fluffier? And do you just mean how  much it fluffs in the bucket or the actual fluffiness of the mix? I like it fluffy, but it's hard to tell when it's thick.

@Beekissed
 You crack me up! :gig   Your very simple way of keeping things take some of the fear out for over thinker type people like me. ;)

Water first distrubutes the SCOBY. So there's that.
1f601.png

1. How long have you been doing it?
    A few weeks
  2. Your methods?
    I have a 2 gallon plastic fermentation tupperware originally meant for pickles. I strain about a cup a day for my three chicks and then add a cup of dry feed into the tupperware and just keep it going.
  3. Grains/feeds used in this manner?
    I use the non-GMO chick starter from Scratch-n- Peck.
  4. Your overall review of this method of feeding?
The chicks don't like the dry feed but will eat it when it's fermented. They dont go crazy over it but their bowl gets cleaned out at the end of the day. I leave the same feed in another bowl as dry feed as well and they eat that throughout the day.

What adorable chicks! What kind are they? Fermenting feed was so much easier than I thought it would be.
thumbsup.gif

lau.gif
That is so refreshingly funny!!! You wouldn't believe how some folks complicate the whole process and get so confused by it all. No matter how much we say add feed to water, stir and wait, it seems to be past all understanding to some folks and they even give up doing it, saying they tried it and tried it but it just "doesn't work for me".

Back
Top Bottom