FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm a soaker and a fermenter for my family so when I read that you could ferment chicken feed, I was over the moon. I just can't understand anyone thinking it's complicated. It totally works for me. Maybe not so much for people that want to leave a feeder out all the time. I bring them their feed in the morning and then they get to free range most of the day. Super Easy Life
wee.gif

Isn't it?
big_smile.png
I'm all about easy and I've got the same setup. Free range all day, feed of an evening, collect the eggs while I'm up there. Never close my coop up unless I'm retraining birds to lay in the nests, so I don't have to worry about opening and closing a pop door all the time.

I'm straining mine right now. I have to keep it thinner so I can mix it. Then I scoop it out into a a solid small hole strainer (mesh, but wire if that makes sense). I do have to stir & press water out once excess water finishes on its own-if I want it drier. Does take more work & time, but for me if I don't do this I don't get it mixed. So, it's an option. I only make one day up in each bucket so I'm dealing with smaller amounts too. Maybe if I did it in a tote there'd be more surface area, but that poses other issues-possibly too much surface area so it's not deep enough, moving the totes, etc.<snip!>
Maybe not such a good idea. Metal doesn't play well with lacto-fermented feed - too acidic. In fact the screws holding the plastic trays onto my chicken's feeding trough are dissapearing fast, I need to get off my better end and finish up that new one.

Quote:
I'm straining mine right now. I have to keep it thinner so I can mix it. Then I scoop it out into a a solid small hole strainer (mesh, but wire if that makes sense). I do have to stir & press water out once excess water finishes on its own-if I want it drier. Does take more work & time, but for me if I don't do this I don't get it mixed. So, it's an option. I only make one day up in each bucket so I'm dealing with smaller amounts too. Maybe if I did it in a tote there'd be more surface area, but that poses other issues-possibly too much surface area so it's not deep enough, moving the totes, etc.<snip!>
Maybe not such a good idea. Metal doesn't play well with lacto-fermented feed - too acidic. In fact the screws holding the plastic trays onto my chicken's feeding trough are dissapearing fast, I need to get off my better end and finish up that new one.
Agreed, I won't even use a metal ladle or spoon.

I can't stir at all if I don't add water before feed.

I use the 18 gal totes and a lightweight canoe paddle and pour the whole 50# bag at once. So major dry pockets.

So which way are you calling fluffier? And do you just mean how  much it fluffs in the bucket or the actual fluffiness of the mix? I like it fluffy, but it's hard to tell when it's thick.

@Beekissed
 You crack me up! :gig   Your very simple way of keeping things take some of the fear out for over thinker type people like me. ;)

How much it absorbs & grows I guess is more what I mean. I've an issue "losing" my words lot of the time out substitute words without realizing it. Appreciate you asking for clarification.

So far it's doing well. It's the solid steel colander one from Ikea.

Plus, it's the difference between long term or constant exposure with no cleaning versus using then cleaning it. Constant acid contact will degrade metal if there's no protection for the metal. Same as it will degrade most surfaces over time. Cleaning removes the acid. It's similar to making a vinaigrette daily & cleaning the mixing bowl when done.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20027536/

Ok I'm very interested in this but my computer is stupid slow. It would take me 2 years to read the last 786 pages. Could someone please post the Cliff Note version of how to do this please? I've been feeding Layer Crunbles and Scratch grains with an occasional treat of greens and bugs when available. I have 5 soon to be 4 chickens that are about a year old. Thank You Turd.

Back
Top Bottom