FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

There could be another reason the barley won't sprout. It could be covered with antimold chemical
Do you have the manufacturers name so you can ask them?
I have sprouted Plotspike Forage oats with great success. Http://www.plotspike.com
They make several other formulas too. I get mine at Tractor Supply ...or your feed store.
Best,
Karen

I have a question about your barley that won't sprout. Why won't it sprout?

I have read that the way to tests seeds for nutritional value is to try to sprout some. If they sprout, they are good to feed. If they don't sprout, they have lost their nutritional value. Is barley any different?

It's a couple of years old, but it's not moldy or bad or anything (my parents made barley on the farm when I was young, so I've had a bit "education" in that regard), but it's definitely not as good as fresh ones. Either that or I'm just a bad first time sprouter (could go both ways, I'm a lousy gardener. Haha!) The dry ones I threw in their run in winter has sprouted...

I think I'm going to give it IN ADDITION to their regular feed though, rather than replacing the cracked oats they get now.

There could be another reason the barley won't sprout. It could be covered with antimold chemical
Do you have the manufacturers name so you can ask them?
I have sprouted Plotspike Forage oats with great success. Http://www.plotspike.com
They make several other formulas too. I get mine at Tractor Supply ...or your feed store.
Best,
Karen

I got it from my brother's farm, and know he don't use chemicals. Actually, I shuffled it out of the barn myself. Hehe! It's a bit old so that's probably why it won't sprout. I'm planning on getting fresh ones after the harvest, and make sprouts and/or fodder during winter time.

Ok 2 more Questions

1) How much to feed per bird, And does age of bird depends?
I ask because my Teenager hens eat a lot, which I hear is true. Makes me wonder if I am not feeding enough even though I feed 2 times a day (3 some days) and they free range all day. I have noticed that they do NOT DRINK as much water since starting this.

2) My feed has this in it "Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation product, Dried Bacil- lus licheniformis Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermenta- tion product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation product,"
Does this cause FASTER FF process? Mine smells fermented in less then the 4 days, more like 2.
Just curious :)

Again, I find it amusing that folks who choose not to ferment their feed find it necessary to spend so much time on this thread. I think I'll find a thread about bull fighting to spend my time on, since I don't approve of bull fighting.
Did you read the title of this thread?
Fermented feeds...anyone using them?
That is a question mark, at the end of them?
I answered. I do not and gave my reasons. GC

5 days into fermented feeding, and it's smelling nice and yogurty. I noticed though they don't like it if it sits outs for long and a darker layer forms on top. I'm also realizing that if I'm going to continue this, it would be nice to use something better than a stick for stirring and some plastic bowls. Is there anything wrong with using a long handled metal spoon or trough if it's galvanized? I'm think of purchasing something like this:
Stainless steel spoon
Galvanized trough
I understand you don't want something that will react with metal, but it also seems like wood would get nasty and plastic would break.

Is it common for people to put out both dry and fermented feed? Because I'm thinking that if there was some reason we couldn't do fermented (too cold, on vacation) it wouldn't be a huge switch for the chickens. I can see though watching our flock that some of them prefer the fermented, and some prefer the dry.

Last edited:
@OF, I use this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...l-feeder-2x175-qt-capacity-black?cm_vc=-10005 They make a mess all on the inside of it but it does stay on the INSIDE. It is deeper then it looks but works great for the 4 Pullets I have. I use S hooks to hold it on the fence which is great as I can lower/raise it as I see fit. Plus it is easy to take down and clean too. I feed 2 times a day.
I think Plastic or ceramic is better then metal.
To stir I use an old thin slotted Plastic spoon that I have owned for 20 years that I no longer used. I was using a thick Chopstick :p

Let me know how much you feed. I am curious. I have Quart Canning jars that I seem to use 1 jar per day (just shy of 2 pounds FF) for the 4 pullets. Still not sure if that is enough or too much for those moochers

Back
Top Bottom